Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
Highlighted
Absent Member.. UFTTesters Absent Member..
Absent Member..

UFT/ALM installation/deployment architecture

I would like to get some recommendations per known best practices and/or other people's experiences for the UFT/ALM setup.

Currently, we have the following licenses and setup :

1 Seated/2 Concurrent HP UFT license

5 Concurrent HP ALM License

We have 3 Automation Testers and 2 additional testers who need access to ALM.

We have 1 Server which has HP ALM Application and the UFT License Server installed.

We installed 1 seated license on one of the UFT testere's windows tower and the other 2 automation testers use the concurrent license.

We also have an empty server available if we need. My question is how can we best utilize the current licenses and available machines, so we have a DEV and PRODUCTION environment for UFT./ALM. The goal is to have a DEV environment available as a playground for testing new add-ons, upgrades etc. and the PROD environment where the primary automation testers will develop automation scripts and run the scripts against. We also want to track the manual tests and test results in ALM and as such the other manual testers also need access to ALM.  I am assuming one license server and ALM installation is sufficient ? Also, we run automated smoke tests for about 35 applications during the maintenance weekends ... should we run it against the same UFT installation or distribute the load to multiple UFT installations ... if so, how ?

I would really appreciate any feedback and recommendations.

Thanks.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.