Highlighted
Absent Member.. teffylon Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Using BPT in UFT with legacy FT licenses

Hello online experts

We raised a case a while back (4651917623) because we could not open BPT tests (made in ALM12.20 with BPT license) in instances of UFT 12.02 which have legacy FT licenses, and were told this is normal behaviour.  These tests have just GUI components and no API components.

I spoke to someone at Discover at the UFT demo stand who thought this was unusual and not .  I would just like to ask the question why opening a BPT GUI test should be blocked by the fact we are not using a UFT license. In my opinion having a UFT license means you open up the tool to service test features which we are not using.

Thanks

0 Likes
4 Replies
MHristova Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Re: Using BPT in UFT with legacy FT licenses

Dear Teffylon,

Thank you very much for your question!

It is indeed true that if you are using FT licenses you will not be able to open or create BPT tests. The reason is that the FT licenses are QTP licenses not UFT licenses and with QTP it was supported to create only components not entire BPT tests. The possibility to create BPT tests was introduced with UFT and that is why an UFT license is required.

Please refer to the following article that provides much more details:

https://softwaresupport.hp.com/group/softwaresupport/search-result/-/facetsearch/document/KM00819487

Kind regards,

Mariya Hristova

HP Support

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.

0 Likes
Absent Member..

This was the standard support response I already had - I would like to have opinion of R&D/product managers if possible hence me posting the question again here during expert day! In my opinion we are being denied a pure FT feature..nothing to do with API testing

0 Likes
MHristova Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Hello Teffylon,

Thank you very much for your response.

I will be happy if my colleagues from the R&D team join the discussion, but I would like also to elaborate a little bit more.

The BPT test usually contains multiple components. With QTP it was possible to create only a single component (not a BPT test), which later on can be included in a BPT test in QC/ALM. With UFT it is possible to create a BPT test not only a single component as it was with QTP and that is why an UFT license is needed. Actually it has nothing to do with the API functionality.

Kind regards,

Mariya Hristova

HP Support

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.

0 Likes
Absent Member..

OK thanks.  So I hope they do join the discussion/debate. as I am very interested in their opinion.  In anticipation of their involvement I would like to state the customer PoV :

1) When UFT was launched it was advertised as a merge between FT (QTP) and ServiceTest - true or false ?
2) This feature is nothing to do (as confirmed) with service test, unless your test has API components - agreed ?
3) All other 'global' enhancements have been added since FT became UFT ARE available to instances which have just a legacy FT license - why the difference for opening BPT tests ?
4) Up until now BPT worked fine with an FT license and ALM BPT licenses - why do customers have to upgrade from FT to UFT to continue to use what is advertised now as a standard BPT feature ?

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.