Agent-driven discovery and load sharing

Idea ID 2838201

Agent-driven discovery and load sharing

The customers with ADID discovery and few DFPs say: it'll be easier for us to have only one IP to get the resulta from all agents, not only because it's hard to split our current PCs, but also because of future PCs which will be deployed by different persons from different teams.
I see that the job works the following way now: from DFP \sending folder it only takes the file for particular trigger UDA CI. So if we create one shared storage which will store all eriched files from all \sending folders from all DFP the following may happen (I think it is close to what we need):

- the agent gets installed and sends the callback to load balancer IP. Then we get the UDA CI created and linked to some random DFP A.
- the ADID job for that UDA CI gets started and waits for result file in \sending folder of DFP A (which is actually a shared folder with DFP B)
- the agent sends the results to load balancer and then to DFP B. They get enriched there and appear in the shared \sending folder
- The ADID job for our CI at DFP A gets these results and processes them
This way in reality our UDA CI is always processed by the same DFP, so there are no problems with autodeletion and so on.

But so far there's a problem - the reference to DFP in UDA properties gets changed, so on next run it will go to another probe. This is the main problem in this scenario. If we could get that property locked somehow (not by the enrichement rule which is not stable) - that would do the trick.
Another thing is the folder limitation - 65k of files as far as i know, so maybe ADID will need to check few folders.

It would be great if Micro Focus could take a look at this idea. Any solution for the problem i raised would be a good advantage for UCMDB SW

3 Comments
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
Thank you for sharing your idea! It’s open for comments and kudos, and we’re looking forward to input from the community. Once there is enough community traction, it will be further reviewed by the product team
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
Status changed to: Waiting for Votes

I think having a distributed XML enricher environment is a good practice. What I would like to see is a consolidated probe gateway process that can aggregate data from multiple probe managers with enriched and normalized data. The probe gateway process would then be responsible for handling the CI touch and deletion. I think this method would allow for load balancing the discovery across many probe manager processes and then consolidate all the data before sending to UCMDB.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.