Join us at the CMS Virtual Customer Forum December 9th
Please join us at the CMS Virtual Customer Forum December 9, 2020 | 7:30 a.m. PDT | 4:30 p.m. CEST

EoS/EoL information of the Operative System within the contents of the dictionaries

Idea ID 2815495

EoS/EoL information of the Operative System within the contents of the dictionaries

I noticed the absence of information about the End of Support (End or Line) of the operating system (or software in general) within the contents of the dictionaries.

In order to ensure the right degree of information coverage and for activities related to the corporate business, I think it would be convenient to insert these elements in order to keep them constantly monitored.

6 Comments
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
Status changed to: Waiting for Votes

Thank you for sharing your idea! It’s open for comments and kudos, and we’re looking forward to input from the community. Once there is enough community traction, it will be further reviewed by the product team

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

This is a difficult task because it requires so much manual involvement.  However, we recently found what appears to be useful information the Center for Internet Security that publishes a consolidated list of EOS data each month.  YOu can see the May publication here - https://www.cisecurity.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/EOS-Report-May-2020.pdf

We're thinking that this might be a good reliable source for EOS dates of software that we could grab each month and use to enrich the installed software discovery we already have in place.  What do you think?

I think your proposal can meet the request I raised.

Basically, my department is interested in EoS/EoL information being available within uCMDB, but adopting a solution with less impact in terms of architectural changes and the amount of human work is certainly the preferred route.

I think that a connector must be created from uCMDB to the monthly list that the Center for Internet Security publishes every month (correct me if I'm wrong). In light of this, how long does it take to accommodate the request?

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

I strongly support this. Extending UCMDB to collect that information from CIS surely would require some R&D works, but I can immediatly name one customer who currently plans to enhance his UCMDB installation with EoS/EoL data
and another customer just 2 hours ago asked whether they could use Qualys to enhance our collected data with EoL/EoS ...

So a big: please implement this.

The one obstacle I see: are we sure that the names of the discovered software matches the names on the CIS website 1:1?

Add-on, after reading the headline again:

I really would like to see these EoL/EoS not only for OS'es, but also for "installed sw" CIs ...

@Uli Manschke Indeed, having this information also for the "InstalledSoftware" CI would be a great contribution. Actually, you anticipated my next request if the operation with the Operating Systems would prove feasible. I strongly support the extension of my request you raised.

@Bill_Dyck Can you give us an estimation of the feasibility of these operations and the management times for this activity? Thanks.

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
Status changed to: Accepted

Great news, this idea has been accepted on our product roadmap. Subscribe to receive updates. (This is not a formal commitment, and subject to change)

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.