Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

New CMS Discovery - Module based discovery implementation?

Jump to solution

Hi all

in the new CMS UI Discovery (introduced in CMS 2020.08) we see a brand new Zone-based discovery mechanism which aims to be equivalent to old Zone-based discovery in classic Admin UI, that's fine...

However, is there a plan to also transform and offer tha old Module-based discovery into a new CMS Discovery?

If not, is there a (hidden) way to achieve "module-based-like" discovery using the new Zone-based discovery in new CMS UI Discovery?

Let me articulate: in zone based discovery, we need to assign what jobs will run on what IP range with what schedule and using which credentials (4 major parameters). In Module-based discovery on the other hand you basically omit the schedule, as you want your disco jobs to be triggered (asynchronously) whenever (and as soon as) a certain trigger CI type (or trigger query) appears, regardless of the schedule...

So how do we achieve the former Module-based discovery logic in new CMS UI Zone-based discovery (if this is possible)?

I have attended the Open Horizons Summit and there was a slide with a "hint" on what to do, but i don't think i quite understand how this is "equivalent" so i need more clarification:

disco new vs old.JPG

It says "include all jobs", ""create schedules" but this is a bit vague and thin.  

If anybody can clarify this, i appreciate

Marko

Labels (2)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
I know that there was a lot of work done for the Common Components. These are UI modules that can be reused in multiple places in the UI. For example the Text Mode listing from the Inventory cards. The same text table will be in other places of the UI because they share the same framework.
There is quite a long list for the CMS UI in the release notes
https://docs.microfocus.com/itom/Universal_CMDB:2020.11/ReleaseNotes

Kind regards,
Bogdan Mureșan
EMEA CMS Technical Success

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello Marko,

the legacy Management Zones are very different to the new Discovery Zones. I admit that the naming is not the most fortunate by using zones in both cases but that's where the similarities end.

For the new Discovery Zones there was a lot of refactoring done and the flow behind them (job and trigger dispatching, scheduler, etc) is different and more efficient especially for big environments.

AFAIK there is no plan to have a similar Module based discovery as in the legacy UI.
No, most probably Module based will be retired so the New UI won't have it. It's your prerogative to raise something on Idea Exchange.

Discovery Zones are evolving. What you saw in CMS 2020.08 was the first release. There were some changes for CMS 2020.11 and most probably there will be many more to come for the next versions. CMS UI it's something under active development.

My best suggestion is to deploy on a simple VM the 2020.11 version server with embedded PGSQL (port different than 5432), disable Integration service, deploy on the same VM also the probe, define some IPs and credentials and have a try at the latest CMS UI version. You will notice some slight differences.

Kind regards,
Bogdan Mureșan
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Hi Bogdan

thanks for your thoughts, I appreciate it.

So you are saying we should stop trying to draw parallels to the old discovery mechanism and try to think only the new way... I need this kind of flavor text in order to come up with good strategy to explain to our existing customers (we are planing a CMS upgrade soon, they still don't have a version with new discovery) how the new discovery works, why it is better any to deflect any kind of comparison attempts with the old way... We have 2 big CMS customers and we dropped the zone-based discovery there, only using module-based as it proved over the years to work better for them. They will definitely ask questions when we face them with the new disco method. 

I do have a lab environment, fresh upgraded to 2020.11 so i do have the way to play with the new disco mechanism.

If you (or anybody else) have anything more to add, any kind of good pointers to use when discussing with the customer regarding this topic, either technical or more theoretical and/or strategic, please put it here, it would help.

Marko

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
I know that there was a lot of work done for the Common Components. These are UI modules that can be reused in multiple places in the UI. For example the Text Mode listing from the Inventory cards. The same text table will be in other places of the UI because they share the same framework.
There is quite a long list for the CMS UI in the release notes
https://docs.microfocus.com/itom/Universal_CMDB:2020.11/ReleaseNotes

Kind regards,
Bogdan Mureșan

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

thanks!

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.