Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
Highlighted
MSB
New Member.

Setting up VMware in VM Explored and SSH

I am new to VM Explorer and the forum. If I should break etiquette let me appoligze in advance. I am setting this up for the first time and I'm concerned about enabling SSH on my ESXi hosts. I find this to be a major security concern. Is there a way to use VME without having SSH enabled?

Thank you in advnace for your help in this matter.

Ken

Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Reply
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Setting up VMware in VM Explored and SSH

Hello Ken,

welcome to VM Explorer!

I understand your concerns regarding allowing SSH.

On the other hand, in my practical work as support engineer I have not seen a customer not allowing SSH.

But if you have special security needs, you can also use VM Explorer without SSH.

If you configure communication without SSH, the "VMware Web Service" will be used.
By doing this, you will not be able to use the the VM Explorer Agent.

This has the following disadvantages:

- VMware Web Service is not as stable as the VM Explorer Agent.
- Backups and replications that target another ESXi Server pass thru the VM Explorer system, what might cause performance issues.

Best regards,

Michael

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.