penderle Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Vibe 4 - Changing assigned user of the task with a workflow

Hi,

is it possible to change according to different workflow states the assigend user of the task? I would like to change the responsible member in different states.

thx
0 Likes
4 Replies
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

Re: Vibe 4 - Changing assigned user of the task with a workf

Hi Pendrerie
I think you are misunderstanding the workflows - or maybe I'm misunderstanding you.

When creating a workflow, you can define who the workflow will run as. This is for the purposes of from whom the notifications will be sent and what rights the workflow will have. You can set it to the owner of the folder or the entry. I typically set this to the owner of the folder so that any notifications are sent from that user ID and not some random ID.

To assign a workflow state to someone, you select On Entry (typically) and add a Notification. In the Notification you specify who you want to "assign" the next action to. That user will then get an email (hopefully with a Link if you specified that option) and some instructions that they need to perform an action. Once the workflow leaves this state and moves into the next one, there is another On Entry with a Notification to notify the next person that they have some action they need to perform. Again - these notification emails will come from the owner you've specified above.

Does this help/make sense?

Lothar
0 Likes
e-ebell1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Unfortunately it isn't possible to set/add/change/modify a user list element on an entry (e.g. the "assignee"-user list element on a task entry) via a workflow action.
It would be cool if this would be possible. Why don't you just add an idea to the ideas forum ( https://ideas.microfocus.com/MFI/novell-vibe ) ? I definitely know a few people who would vote for it.
Cheers
Erik
0 Likes
penderle Absent Member.
Absent Member.

@Lothar:
When we do the mailing notifications thing you mentioned, the mailboxes of the users will be full of tasks what they have to do.
Also, the users have to maintain their own ToDo list (my workspace, assigned tasks). It would be much better if the task appears automatically in his list as assigned.
Notifications are good, but they will not reduce the amount of mails in the mailbox. And thats one of the big points why we use vibe 😉

@e-ebell:
Do you know a workaround?

Thanks for the answers
0 Likes
sirjohnson
New Member.

Have you worked this out?

Not knowing the exact situation I'm not sure if this works, but you could have folders named after users. And have transitions that have On Exit, Move Entries. Then you'd move the entries to different user's folders. You could couple that with notifications, or when they refresh their folders they'll see new entries. You'd have to build the transitions between users which could be handful if you're talking about more than a handful of users.

Or you could manually move into folders.

This method becomes a problem if you want to see all the active tasks in the system at once.

Or you could have a user list element named Assigned User. You'd have to manually change the entry... as e-ebell pointed out I don't think you can change a user list element through workflow.

Hope it helps.

Rich
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.