Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Vibe OnPrem 3 Not Sending Email

We are using GroupWise as our mail server.

I can telnet on port 25 from the vibe server and send mail manually.

The Vibe server connects to the mail server according to the schedule I established (once every 15 minutes) but NEVER actually sends any mail.

When I compose an email, Vibe tells me it has been submitted to the queue. And that is the last I ever hear of it.

Where oh where is this mysterious queue?? What can I do to troubleshoot this problem?? If I want to change my mail server configuration, do I REALLY have to reinstall Vibe? If I do have to reinstall Vibe what precautions do I need to do before hand?

This part of Vibe seems extremely opaque to me both in the software and the documenation. I'd really appreciate any help I can get.

Jason
Tags (1)
0 Likes
8 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Vibe OnPrem 3 Not Sending Email

* jfdowd wrote, On 02/10/2011 12:36 AM:
>
> We are using GroupWise as our mail server.
>
> I can telnet on port 25 from the vibe server and send mail manually.
>
> The Vibe server connects to the mail server according to the schedule I
> established (once every 15 minutes) but NEVER actually sends any mail.

Check the GWIA logs to see what happens when Vibe tries to send a mail. Search for the IP of the Vibe server. Usually you see a "SMTP connection closed [IP address]" or some such. Note the number before this message and go *up* the log to see the other messages corresponding with this communication session. They all show the same number.

Some random thoughts here: If your GWIA has the /forceinboundauth switch set, you *must* provide a valid GW user name and password in the Vibe configuration. You also need to do this if you want Vibe to send mails out of your system rather than only to the internet domain the GWIA is serving.
Make sure the mailserver login credentials in Vibe contain only the GW account (JDoe), not the internet mail address (JDoe@yourdomain.com).

As for the reinstall: No. The Vibe install script has a reconfiguration option. Launch the installer, select "Reconfigure". The script will ask you if the Vibe server is down. Make sure it is, continue with the reconfiguration and restart Vibe once you're finished.

HTH
Uwe

--
Novell Knowledge Partner (NKP)
Please don't send me support related e-mail unless I ask you to do so.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

buckesfeld;2073839 wrote:
* jfdowd wrote, On 02/10/2011 12:36 AM:
>
> We are using GroupWise as our mail server.
>
> I can telnet on port 25 from the vibe server and send mail manually.
>
> The Vibe server connects to the mail server according to the schedule I
> established (once every 15 minutes) but NEVER actually sends any mail.

Check the GWIA logs to see what happens when Vibe tries to send a mail. Search for the IP of the Vibe server. Usually you see a "SMTP connection closed [IP address]" or some such. Note the number before this message and go *up* the log to see the other messages corresponding with this communication session. They all show the same number.

Some random thoughts here: If your GWIA has the /forceinboundauth switch set, you *must* provide a valid GW user name and password in the Vibe configuration. You also need to do this if you want Vibe to send mails out of your system rather than only to the internet domain the GWIA is serving.
Make sure the mailserver login credentials in Vibe contain only the GW account (JDoe), not the internet mail address (JDoe@yourdomain.com).

As for the reinstall: No. The Vibe install script has a reconfiguration option. Launch the installer, select "Reconfigure". The script will ask you if the Vibe server is down. Make sure it is, continue with the reconfiguration and restart Vibe once you're finished.

HTH
Uwe

--

Uwe,

I have already checked the GWIA logs. They show the connections from the Vibe server every 15 minutes, like clockwork. But they do not show any messages being sent.

There is no forcedinboundauth. Like I said, I can telnet from the Vibe server to the GWIA on port 25 and manually send mail.

Jason
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

This problem has been resolved. The gwia logs were useless, and the vibe logs were nonexistent. But the problem was that vibe was trying to authenticate to the mail server when it didn't need to. Reconfiguration did fix this.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

* jfdowd wrote, On 02/10/2011 10:06 PM:
> This problem has been resolved. The gwia logs were useless, and the vibe
> logs were nonexistent. But the problem was that vibe was trying to
> authenticate to the mail server when it didn't need to. Reconfiguration
> did fix this.

Thanks for reporting back. I find this odd, though 🙂

Uwe

--
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

buckesfeld;2074900 wrote:
* jfdowd wrote, On 02/10/2011 10:06 PM:
> This problem has been resolved. The gwia logs were useless, and the vibe
> logs were nonexistent. But the problem was that vibe was trying to
> authenticate to the mail server when it didn't need to. Reconfiguration
> did fix this.

Thanks for reporting back. I find this odd, though 🙂

Uwe

--

The only thing I really found odd about it was the lack of visibility on either side. gwia was actually logging at diagnostic level, and I still couldn't tell what the problem was. As for vibe, maybe the logging - along with the reporting - could use some beefing up?
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Did you check the catalina.log, catalina.out (Linux) or stdout.log (Windows) in the apache-tomcat/logs folder and still not see an error indicating the email failure?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

jfdowd;2074197 wrote:
This problem has been resolved. The gwia logs were useless, and the vibe logs were nonexistent. But the problem was that vibe was trying to authenticate to the mail server when it didn't need to. Reconfiguration did fix this.

Hi friend,

How did you fix it ? I have the same issue. Could you please tell me teh steps to fix it.

Thanks
V Sreehari
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

vinodsreehari;2184908 wrote:
Hi friend,

How did you fix it ? I have the same issue. Could you please tell me teh steps to fix it.

Thanks
V Sreehari

Hi,

Stop Vibe. Run the installer with option reconfigure and change the mail settings removing the "Auth. required".

Best regards
Joakim Danielsson
Jönköping University
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.