Installation and registration of VisiBroker 8.5 in GUI mode
This article explains the pre-requisites & the steps to install and register VisiBroker 8.5 installation in GUI mode in supported windows operating systems. The VisiBroker 8.5 supported platforms can be referred here: http://supportline.microfocus.com/supportresources/VB85prodmatrix.aspx.
1. You need a JDK and not JRE to install VisiBroker.
2. You need to use one of the VisiBroker 8.5 certified JDK versions. You can refer the supported JDK versions here: http://supportline.microfocus.com/supportresources/VB85prodmatrix.aspx
Please note that for JDK 1.7 support, you still need to use JDK 1.6 for the installation. After the installation, apply VB 8.5 SP1 followed by JDK 1.7 hotfix to get the support for JDK 1.7.
3. You need to install JDK first. Please note that if you are choosing 32-bit version of VisiBroker 8.5, then you need to install 32-bit JDK. If VisiBroker installation is 64-bit, then JDK has to be 64-bit.
4. Run "java -version" to make sure you have installed the right version of JDK.i.e. 32 or 64-bit.
5. For registration of the product to complete the installation, you have to have a BDN account. You should setup an account in this link: http://reg.borland.com/srs5/new_user.jsp if you don’t have one. In case, you have forgotten the BDN account password, please contact support and they will help you to reset it.
6. Please record down the username, and password (for the BDN account you’ve just created).
7. It’s important to know if you’ve got internet access for your machine. If you do not have, please make sure you’ve got a laptop or machine that’s got access to the internet, while working on the installation of VisiBroker on the target machine.
8. You also need to make sure that this laptop/machine (not the machine where you are installing VisiBroker) has got internet access to receive emails (the same email address that you’ve used to create the BDN account).
Running through the pre-requisites, your machine should have right JDK version(32 or 64-bit based on VisiBroker installation) installed, and you’ve now have BDN account for the registration setup. You should also have your License Serial Number (20 alpha numeric characters), Authorization key (6 alpha numeric characters) ready as well. You should also be armed with a laptop/machine that can access http://reg.borland.com/ whilst working on the installation, and that will receive emails on the same email address you use for your BDN account.
9. During the installation of VisiBroker in Windows Vista/Windows 7 platforms using the graphical mode, you might encounter InvocationTargetException or java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException error. The solution for this error is:
• In Windows Vista, you must modify the compatibility mode of the installer before you use it. To do this, right-click the installer and select Properties. In the Compatibility tab of the properties window, select "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and select "Windows XP SP3" from the list.
• Under either Windows Vista or Windows 7, you need administrator privileges to run the installer. If not, the installer will crash. Therefore, on either of these platforms, right-click the installer and select Run as Administrator.
The related article can be referred here:
Installation instructions to install VisiBroker
1. Navigate to the directory that you’ve downloaded the VB 8.5 installer.
2. Double click vb85-08.05.00.c1.03-windows-<x86/x64/bcb>.exe. You should be presented with the below license agreement dialog in the second step.
3. After accepting the license agreement, choose the installation folder. The default folder is C:\MicroFocus\VisiBroker.
4. Next you will have to choose "Product Components". By default, the components are all selected. You can choose to de-select the components which you do not need. An example would be not to select documentation and examples options. That’s entirely up to you.
5. Next step, you need to choose "VisiBroker Core Configuration". VisiBroker is supported in C++, Java and .NET. By default "VisiBroker for Java and C++" is selected. If your application needs to use VisiBroker for .NET(aka Visi.NET), then please note that currently Visi.NET 8.5 is supported only in 32-bit windows. If you are using any of the supported windows 64-bit OS, then you need to install the 32-bit installer to get Visi.NET.
For the list of VisiBroker 8.5 supported platforms:
6. If you have chosen VisiBroker for .NET core as well, then you will need to choose the mode(server/client/development) in which you would be using Visi.NET.
IMPORTANT - Visi.NET license is a separate slip file which is installed as part of the VisiBroker installation. However, there is a known license issue in Visi.NET 8.5 RTM. For this issue, they need to apply a patch and get a new Visi.NET license (depending upon which Visi.NET license you have purchased). Please contact support to get the patch and the new license.
7. Next step, you need to choose VisiBroker for .NET features that you wish to install.
8. Next step, you need to "Choose VisiBroker Services". This step is optional. If you have purchased any VisiBroker services, then choose those ones.
9. Next Step, you will require to choose the installation type. Choose "Custom" if you want to change osagent port, otherwise choose Typical.
10. Next Step, you can “Choose Shortcut Folder” where you want to install VisiBroker shortcut.
11. You will be required to choose the JDK to be used for this installation. Please choose the same JDK which you’ve used to install earlier. It’s the path of the JDK installation.
12. In next two steps, if you want to modify your PATH variable and system environment with the VisiBroker environment, then choose “Yes”.
13. Next Step, you will be shows the Pre-Installation Summary dialog. Please verify the Install Folder and Product Features and then click Install to begin the installation.
14. Once the installation is complete, the installer will ask if you would like to register the product. Please choose “Yes” to proceed with the license registration.
15. In the next dialog, you need to choose “Have Serial Number” option.
16. Next Step is to enter your 20 character license serial number and 6 character authorization key.
17. Next Step, you need to choose the mode in which you want to register the license. If the current machine has direct internet access, please choose "Direct" to proceed with the license registration in step 18. If otherwise, please choose “Web page” and proceed to step 24.
18. Next Step, you need to choose “I have an account” as you have created a BDN account earlier.
19. Next Step, enter login name or email address and password of the BDN account.
20. Next Step, click Next if you do not have any proxies configured. If otherwise, configure them.
21. Next Step, you need to click Next in Information Summary dialog to proceed with the registration.
22. After the registration is successful, you will shown the following dialog window.
23. Next Step, click Next to Finish the registration. Then you will be presented the Borland Product License Manager window(which shows the license just registered) and after closing it, you will be presented the installation window. Click Done to complete the installation and registration.
24. If the machine does not have direct internet access, then choose “Web page” option and click Next.
25. Please note down the registration key displayed in the next window and click Finish.
26. Next Step, you will be presented with the Borland Product License Manager window(which shows the license just entered in red) and after closing it, you will be shown the installation window. Click Done to complete the installation.
27. Now, go to http://reg.borland.com in your laptop/desktop (not the machine where you are installing the product). You will be presented with a screen as shown below.
28. Please provide the 20_characters_license _serial_number and registration key noted down from the installation console and click "Continue" button.
29. Then, enter the BDN account and password and click "Login" as shown in the screen shot below. You should already be armed with a BDN account as this was the pre-requisite before installing.
30. Next, you will be taken to a page which shows the email address where the reg*.txt will be sent. And, on clicking "Register", you will be sent an email with the reg*.txt.
31. Check your email. You should receive an email with Subject header Borland Product Registration. In that email, you will be receiving an attachment named reg*.txt.
32. You need to copy this file and put it into the VisiBroker installation machine’s <VBROKERDIR>/license folder.
You have now installed and registered VisiBroker successfully either with direct internet access or registering using web option.
Verification of installation & registration
1. Open a windows command prompt and go to <VBROKERDIR>\bin folder. Default folder is C:\MicroFocus\VisiBroker.
2. Setup VisiBroker environment by running "vbroker.bat".
4. Go to <VBROKERDIR>\examples\vbroker\basic\bank_agent example folder to compile and run the server to verify if the installation has been installed properly.
5. Compile the example using the supported compiler of the OS where you are installing VisiBroker. You can refer VisiBroker 8.5 supported compilers here: http://supportline.microfocus.com/supportresources/VB85prodmatrix.aspx
Normally, if the "nmake" is in PATH, you will need to invoke "nmake -f Makefile_cpp" for CPP example and "vbmake.bat" for java example. But please make sure that your compiler in the OS is a VisiBroker supported one.
6. Once the compilation is successful, run "osagent" from the same folder. This is a lookup service from where clients will receive the Server's IOR.
7. Then start the server as follows:
VisiBroker for C++:
VisiBroker for Java:
8. The Server should start fine and display the object reference which is hosted by this server.
You have now installed, registered and verified VisiBroker successfully.
If you encounter any license related issues during verification, please refer License Error Codes wiki for the explanation of license error codes and the respective solution.