Installation and registration of VisiBroker 8.5 in console mode
This article explains the pre-requisites & the steps to install and register VisiBroker 8.5 installation in console mode in supported unix operating systems. The VisiBroker 8.5 supported platforms can be referred here: http://supportline.microfocus.com/supportresources/VB85prodmatrix.aspx.
1. You need a JDK and not JRE to install VisiBroker.
2. You need to use one of the VisiBroker 8.5 certified JDK versions.You can refer the supported JDK versions here: http://supportline.microfocus.com/supportresources/VB85prodmatrix.aspx
Please note that for JDK 1.7 support, you still need to use JDK 1.6 for the installation. After the installation, apply VB 8.5 SP1 followed by JDK 1.7 hotfix to get the support for JDK 1.7.
3. You need to install JDK first. Please note that if you are choosing 32-bit version of VisiBroker 8.5, then you need to install 32-bit JDK. If VisiBroker installation is 64-bit, then JDK has to be 64-bit.
4. Run "java -version" to make sure you have installed the right version of JDK.i.e. 32 or 64-bit.
5. For registration of the product to complete the installation, you have to have a BDN account. You should setup an account in this link: http://reg.borland.com/srs5/new_user.jsp if you don’t have one. In case, you have forgotten the BDN account password, please contact support and they will help you to reset it.
6. Please record down the username, and password (for the BDN account you’ve just created).
7. It’s important to know if you’ve got internet access for your machine. If you do not have, please make sure you’ve got a laptop or machine that’s got access to the internet, while working on the installation of VisiBroker on the target machine.
8. You also need to make sure that this laptop/machine (not the machine where you are installing VisiBroker) has got internet access to receive emails (the same email address that you’ve used to create the BDN account).
Running through the pre-requisites, your machine should have right JDK version(32 or 64-bit based on VisiBroker installation) installed, and you’ve now have BDN account for the registration setup. You should also have your License Serial Number (20 alpha numeric characters), Authorization key (6 alpha numeric characters) ready as well. You should also be armed with a laptop/machine that can access http://reg.borland.com/ whilst working on the installation, and that will receive emails on the same email address you use for your BDN account.
Installation instructions to install VisiBroker
1. Install VisiBroker using a non-root user. Login using this non-root user.
2. Navigate to the directory that you’ve downloaded the VB 8.5 installer.
3. Invoke "<installer>.bin -i console".
4. After accepting the license agreement, choose the installation folder (please make sure the non-root user has access to the installation folder you’ve chosen). The default folder is /opt/MicroFocus/VisiBroker.
5. Next you will have to choose "Product Features"
6. By default, the features are all selected. You can choose to de-select the features which you do not need. An example would be not to choose option 3 (documentation) and 4 (product examples). That’s entirely up to you.
7. Next step, you need to "Choose VisiBroker Services". This step is not optional. You need to enter an option. Please select at least VisiSecure (option 2).
8. Next Step, you will require to choose the installation type. Choose "Custom" if you want to change osagent port, otherwise choose Typical.
9. You will be required to enter the JDK to be used for this installation. Please choose the same JDK which you’ve used to install earlier. It’s the path of the JDK installation.
10. Once the installation is complete, the installer will ask if you would like to register the product. Please Enter "Y" for "YES" so that the lmadm to list the registration options.
11.The following is the options that will be made available to you
If the machine has direct internet access, please go onto step 12. If the machine does not have direct internet access, please proceed to step 23.
12. Input 0 which means to do direct register.
13. The installation will show that it’s "connecting to the Borland server......."
14. The prompt will display "Enter your Serial Number: ", please enter your 20 character license serial number.
15. Next the prompt will display "Enter the key:", please enter your authorization key.
16. Next you will be prompted "Do you have a Borland Developer Network (BDN) account from a previous Borland product registration (Y)/(N)?". Type Y.
17. You will be prompted to "Enter your Borland Developer Network (BDN) login name or your email address:", please enter the BDN username you’ve created earlier.
18. Next, please enter your Borland Developer Network password.
19. You should see the screen displaying "Registering your information....", followed by "Registration completed successfully".
20. It will then display the options you see in step no. 11.
21. Choose option 7 to save the license.
22. Choose option 2 to list the licenses to make sure the installation is registered correctly and then choose option 8 to quit the installer.
23. If the machine do not have direct internet access, then choose option 1 and note down the registration key displayed in the console. IMPORTANT – You do not need to exit the installer.
24. Go to http://reg.borland.com in your laptop/desktop (not the machine where you are installing the product). You will be presented with a screen as shown below.
25. Please provide the 20_characters_license _serial_number and registration key shown in the installation console and click "Continue" button.
26. Then, enter the BDN account and password and click "Login" as shown in the screen shot below. You should already be armed with a BDN account as this was the pre-requisite before installing.
27. Next, you will be taken to a page which shows the email address where the reg*.txt will be sent. And, on clicking "Register", you will be sent an email with the reg*.txt.
28. Check your email. You should receive an email with Subject header Borland Product Registration. In that email, you will be receiving an attachment named reg*.txt.
29. You need to copy this file and put it into the VisiBroker installation machine’s <VBROKERDIR>/license folder. IMPORTANT - Preferably doing this in a separate unix console using the same user login to install the VisiBroker.
30. Since you’ve not exited the installation earlier, please go back to that console window and enter option 7 to save the license and option 2 to make sure the license is listed and then choose option 8 to quit the installer.
You have now install and registered VisiBroker successfully either with direct internet access or registering using web option.
Verification of installation & registration
1. Open a unix console, login using the non-root user(same user who installed VisiBroker 8.5).
2. Go to the <VBROKERDIR>/bin folder. Default folder is /opt/MicroFocus/VisiBroker.
3. Setup VisiBroker environment by running ". ./vbroker.sh"
4. Go to <VBROKERDIR>/examples/vbroker/basic/bank_agent example folder to compile and run the server to verify if the installation has been installed properly.
5. Compile the example using the supported compiler of the OS where you are installing VisiBroker. You can refer the VisiBroker 8.5 supported compilers here: http://supportline.microfocus.com/supportresources/VB85prodmatrix.aspx
Normally, if the "make" is in PATH, you will need to just invoke "make -f Makefile_cpp" for CPP example and "make -f Makefile_java" for java example. But please make sure that your compiler in the OS is a VisiBroker 8.5 supported one.
6. Once the compilation is successful, run "osagent &" from the same folder. This is a lookup service from where clients will receive the Server's IOR.
7. Then start the server as follows:
VisiBroker for C++:
VisiBroker for Java:
8. The Server should start fine and display the object reference which is hosted by this server.
You have now installed, registered and verified VisiBroker 8.5 successfully.
If you encounter any license related issues during verification, please refer License Error Codes wiki for the explanation of license error codes and the respective solution.