Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

All compiles fail after upgrade Eclipse Visual COBOL 2.3 to 3.0

After updating Windows Eclipse Visual COBOL 2.3 to 3.0 plus patch 1 all compiles fail with the following error:

-------------------------------BUILD STARTED-------------------------------
Problem: failed to create task or type mfdirlist
Cause: The name is undefined.
Action: Check the spelling.
Action: Check that any custom tasks/types have been declared.
Action: Check that any <presetdef>/<macrodef> declarations have taken place.

The .cobolBuild XML file contains the following relating to mfdirlist:

<!-- ***************************** -->
<!-- * COBOL compiler directives * -->
<!-- ***************************** -->
<!-- cobol_directive_set_1 -->
<mfdirlist id="cobol_directive_set_1">
<directive name="DIALECT" id="dialect" value="MF"/>
<directive name="WARNING" id="warning" value="3"/>
<directive name="CHARSET" id="charset" value="ASCII"/>
<directive name="MAX-ERROR" id="max-error" value="100"/>
<directive name="SOURCEFORMAT" id="sourceformat" value="fixed"/>
<directive name="SOURCETABSTOP" id="sourcetabstop" value="4"/>
<directive name="COLLECTION" id="collection" value="work2"/>
<directives value="VERBOSE SHOW-DIR SETTINGS ERRLIST&quot;VERBOSE&quot; DATAMAP XREF WARNINGS &quot;3&quot; DIALECT&quot;MF&quot; NOALTER NOEARLY-RELEASE RESTRICT-GOTO COPYEXT&quot;cbl,cpy,cps,sel&quot; OSEXT&quot;cbl&quot; MOVE-LEN-CHECK&quot;TRUNC&quot; AREACHECK"/>
<directive name="${TESTCOVER_VALUE_1}"/>
</mfdirlist>
<property name="TESTCOVER_VALUE_1" value="${TESTCOVER_VALUE_OFF}"/>

Note, this is a Remote COBOL Project on SUSE Linux using the Development Hub.

How do I resolve this?

Mark.

0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

RE: All compiles fail after upgrade Eclipse Visual COBOL 2.3 to 3.0

Hi Mark,

I'm sorry to hear about the problem you've had upgrading to Visual COBOL 3.0. I have a few questions for you:

1) You've mentioned upgrading from Visual COBOL 2.3 to 3.0 Patch Update 1. Just to clarity, were you previously using version 2.3, 2.3 Update 1, or 2.3 Update 2?

2) Before the upgrade, were both your Development Hub product (on SUSE) and your Visual COBOL for Eclipse product (likely on Windows) on the same prior version?

3) Were your Development Hub product (on SUSE) and your Visual COBOL for Eclipse product (likely on Windows) upgraded at the same time to 3.0 Patch Update 1?

4) As an experiment, if you create a new Remote COBOL project, does the new project work properly?

Blair McDonald

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Blair,

1) previously on Windows Eclipse 2.3 GA + HotFix 8 = 2.3.370.

2) Yes, before the upgrade both Windows Eclipse and Development Hub versions were the same.

3) Development Hub has not been upgraded as yet.

4) I tested creating a new remote COBOL project and using the standard template rather than selecting one I had previously created and I still get the same problem. Tested a local COBOL project on Windows and it compiles ok.

Mark.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Mark,

Differing versions between the Visual COBOL for Eclipse and DevHub products can cause issues, and are not recommended or supported. Please try upgrading your DevHub installation to the same version (and Patch Update level) as your Visual COBOL for Eclipse installation on Windows. Once you do this, are you able to create new remote projects successfully?

Blair McDonald

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.