Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Highlighted
PaoloR Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

BUILD problem

Jump to solution

Using Visual Studio 2019 CE and Visual COBOL PE.

I have a series of programs which compile without errors. After a short break I fired up the project in VC and  was confronted with this error message:

''The "MicroFocus.Cobol.BuildTasks.AssignSourceTargetPaths" task could not be loaded from the assembly C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\MSBuild\Micro Focus\Visual COBOL\v1.0\MicroFocus.COBOL.BuildTasks.dll. Method 'get_SourceFileExtension' in type 'MicroFocus.COBOL.BuildTasks.CreateCobolManifestResourceName' from assembly 'MicroFocus.COBOL.BuildTasks, Version=16.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=0412c5e0b2aaa8f0' does not have an implementation. Confirm that the <UsingTask> declaration is correct, that the assembly and all its dependencies are available, and that the task contains a public class that implements Microsoft.Build.Framework.ITask.''

The program in question compiles without errors bu t I cannot run it because of the foregoing error message. I tried a Visual COBOL Repair but this has made no difference.

Seems very strange that this error has only just revealed itself.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: BUILD problem

Jump to solution

Sorry, the ftp site gets cleaned out monthly so the file at that link had been deleted.

I uploaded the Visual COBOL 5.0 Patch Update 2 installer again.

Please use this link.

0 Likes
4 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

This is a known problem that occurs when Visual Studio 2019 is updated to the 16.3 version. It breaks Visual COBOL 5.0. The fix is to download and apply VC 5.0 Patch Update 2.

Please see the previous post covering this topic here:

0 Likes
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution

Thanks Chris. However when I click on the link in the other message you posted I get a ''404 File Not Found'' error.

The VC Patch Update 2 page (https://www.microfocus.com/documentation/visual-cobol/vc50pu2/#)  appears to only show documentation so where can I download the Patch?

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Sorry, the ftp site gets cleaned out monthly so the file at that link had been deleted.

I uploaded the Visual COBOL 5.0 Patch Update 2 installer again.

Please use this link.

0 Likes
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution

Thanks Chris.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.