Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Behaviour of the Visual COBOL text editor

We are moving from Net Express to Visual COBOL and a lot of the developers want the text editor in Visual COBOL to behave in the same way as the Net Express editor. I am aware of some of the settings you can make in Visual COBOL (e.g. enable virtual space), but I haven't found out how to get exactly the same behaviour. Is that even possible? Most problems arise when you paste code from other editors (and I posted a question about that some weeks ago and got the answer that that will be fixed in version 6), but there are other issues as well. So, is there a "Net Express" setting you can use in Visual COBOL?

0 Likes
1 Reply
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Behaviour of the Visual COBOL text editor

The closest option to "Net Express mode" is called Smart Edit. This can be toggled on or off on the COBOL toolbar within the IDE. It can also be configured in Options / Micro Focus COBOL / Margins where there are several more options to control the specific behaviour of Smart Edit.

The problem mentioned in other posts is due to settings not persisting after a certain update to Visual Studio 2019. This has been fixed in both the latest version of 5.0 and also the new 6.0 version of the product.

Can you be more specific in the behaviour that is different from Net Express? Keep in mind that pasting code will, by default, automatically format the code for you and adjust it to your chosen source format. Pressing undo once will revert the automatic formatting. It can also be disabled entirely by disabling "Format on paste" in Options / Micro Focus COBOL / Formatting.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.