Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Breakpoints all ignored

Hi, what is wrong? 

I've been using visual cobol on windows 10 for ages and using the debugger. Suddenly breakpoints are ignored. This is really frustrating as I can't release a fix to a client without fully testing.  It just will not stop on any breakpoints, even on the first line of programs. I'm running Exe, gnt, idy files.

On the top menus '>Start' has [DEBUG] selected.  My main exe is 'Ad_Booker.exe' and it's 'DEBUG' tab has 'start external program '.... \DEBUG\Ad_Booker.exe'. The ad_booker.cbl program just runs another program called 'DMENU03A' as below and that program has a break on the first line - everything is compiled to gnt/idy as it always has been and the gnt/idy for the first program definitely exists in the DEBUG folder and i have tried emptying DEBUG and rebuilding the whole solution. I have tried breakpoints on other bits of cobol code - nothing works, the programs just run without stopping. I have rebooted the PC and done all the usual things one would normally tell a user to do!  

Ad_Booker.cbl (i.e. the .exe) is just:

procedure division.
call "dmenu03a".
stop run.

Thanks, Linden 

Linden Rowland - IT Consultant
Owner/Developer, www.SchoolReportWriter.com
IT Consultant to Tindle Newspaper Group

0 Likes
13 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Try opening up one of the projects in the Samples browser and see if debugging works. If not then I would suggest that you run a repair of Visual COBOL from Control Panel and see if that fixes it.

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks Chris, I ran the DiagExample and it debugged OK. Seems to be just my project.

If I right click and choose debug from the exe in the solution explorer. It stop and waits in the cbl of the exe. But when i hit continue up on the menus it doesn't stop on my programs it just runs right through.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

What happens if you start your program using F11 to step into the debugger? Does it start debugging the first program?

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

ah yes meant to tell you that... Step into (F11) on debug toolbar.... just runs the programs without stepping! First though it shows the .exe debug tab for some reason but doesn't stop, one of my small sign in screens pops up over it i.e. my progs are running  

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

ALSO...

Here's the output window DEBUG content in case it's significant....

The thread '<No Name>' (0x2364) has exited with code 0 (0x0).

The thread '<No Name>' (0xdc8) has exited with code 0 (0x0).

The program '[9652] dmenu03a.gnt: c:\ad booker\debug\dmenu03a.gnt' has exited with code 0 (0x0).

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

It sounds like it is not loading the .idy files or that the programs are not compiled for debug.

Can you tell me what is in the directives field under Build Settings on the COBOL tab?

Also, you mentioned that you could debug DiagExample OK. Where is that located in the Samples Browser?

I think that this would be easily solved if I could see your project.

Can you possibly create a support incident and zip up your solution folders and attach it? Reference my name in the description so that it is directed to me.

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

hi chris,

Dialog system example was mf supplied when i was testing vc couple of years ago.

i have 2 projects...

Proj ONE animates, TWO doesn't...

Proj ONE DEBUG build creates IDY and EXE, Proj TWO creates IDY and GNT...

ONE: an exe with one prog in. Proj and prog prefs both set to debug and have compiler directives:

Proj: anim cobidy"DEBUG" max-error"20" WRITETHRU WRITETHROUGH

Prog: Build settings for the project

<Inherited Additional Directives - WRITETHRU WRITETHROUGH>

QUESTION: I removed and re-added the one prog in that project to get the defaults and even though the project has debug ticked, the default on the prog was 'Compile for debugging: no'. Why? I changed it to yes.

TWO: an int/gnt project with all the remaining progs. So... re. first prog to execute i.e. called from proj ONE above...

Proj (NOTE: compile for debugging and compile for .gnt both ticked): anim cobidy"DEBUG" max-error"20" OPT(1)  

Prog: Build settings for the project

<Inherited Additional Directives - OPT(1)>

THIS HAS BEEN WORKING fine i.e. for last couple of years progs have been compiling into DEBUG as both IDY and GNT. So after testing I just ship the GNTs from DEBUG - simple!  

QUESTION: same as proj ONE. Why?

I can bundle up everything and send to you later if you still need it.

Linden

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

It sounds like the program level directives might be overriding the project level ones.

Right click on the source file in the gnt project and select properties. You will see another set of options at the program level. Make sure that compile for debug is turned on there.

Do this for each program.

If this doesn't help then yes please package everything up and create an incident so that I can review.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Chris, included the directives from both the prog and proj above and see the 'QUESTION'. I have given you the project and program directives for the exe/idy (one prog project which animates fine), and for the first to run prog of the gnt/idy project which refuses to animate.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

I do not have an answer for the question. That is why I need to see the materials so that I can test what is going on.

You might try as a test to debug the .gnt files directly without them being called. Can you make the gnt project your startup project and then step into one on the gnt programs?

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

OK will try and will send the files later via support. What are your hours!?

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.