Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

CICS on Visual COBOL

Jump to solution

Hi, It sounds weird to ask this here but, could anybody help me in learning CICS on Visual COBOL -from scratch!- I am planning to use Visual Studio and I've never done CICS before

Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

That's a tall order. CICS is not trivial.

My best suggestion is to start with the IBM CICS programmer documentation, namely SC34-7022 (the CICS Programmer's Guide) and SC34-7023 (the CICS Programmer's Reference). Those can be found in various forms on IBM's site; search for the publication numbers.

Besides that, there are any number of web pages dealing with CICS basics, though I'm not aware of a good, well-rounded tutorial.

Note that in order to use CICS with Visual COBOL you'll need either Enterprise Server or Enterprise Server for .NET.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

That's a tall order. CICS is not trivial.

My best suggestion is to start with the IBM CICS programmer documentation, namely SC34-7022 (the CICS Programmer's Guide) and SC34-7023 (the CICS Programmer's Reference). Those can be found in various forms on IBM's site; search for the publication numbers.

Besides that, there are any number of web pages dealing with CICS basics, though I'm not aware of a good, well-rounded tutorial.

Note that in order to use CICS with Visual COBOL you'll need either Enterprise Server or Enterprise Server for .NET.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thank you  very much Michael, actually I asked for this here because of this "Besides that, there are any number of web pages dealing with CICS basics, though I'm not aware of a good, well-rounded tutorial."

I've also checked Murach's CICS book but the problem is that I can't get my hands on an execution environment, anyway I will start with the manuals you've mentioned and then see where it goes.

Best Regards

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.