Highlighted
New Member.

COBCH1505 I-O error _ IDY file

Jump to solution

I am trying Visual Cobol 2.3 after using Netexpress the first source I try to compile gets the error

COBCH1505 I-O error _ IDY file

this does not happen in Netexpress. I am missing a setting or something?

The online documentation for the error slighty lacks a fix.

All help gratefully acccepted.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

RE: COBCH1505 I-O error _ IDY file

Jump to solution
If you are using the Visual COBOL PE version then the limit is 2200 lines per program. This is enforced by the compiler and not by the IDE so you will get the same error if you compile from the command line, which is something you can do.

The Personal Edition product is a teaching tool and is made for students. You cannot do any type of real development with the product. If you are evaluating the VC product to see if it fits your needs then you should be using a free trial version which gives you a full product version to use for 30 days. The evaluation copy also includes Tech Support for the duration of the eval.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution
This sounds as if the VC project is not setup correctly. Did you use the import wizard to convert the original NX project to VC or did you create the VC project from scratch?

Also, if this is a NX program then it should probably go into a native project template in VC. Make sure that you didn't create a managed code project and copy the programs into it.

You might try to open up one of the Sample programs in the Samples Browser to ensure that the product is working correctly.

Thanks.
0 Likes
Highlighted
New Member.

Jump to solution
Thanks imported code into new project, but I have now blown the 2200 project line limit.

Can you use VC without using a project?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution
If you are using the Visual COBOL PE version then the limit is 2200 lines per program. This is enforced by the compiler and not by the IDE so you will get the same error if you compile from the command line, which is something you can do.

The Personal Edition product is a teaching tool and is made for students. You cannot do any type of real development with the product. If you are evaluating the VC product to see if it fits your needs then you should be using a free trial version which gives you a full product version to use for 30 days. The evaluation copy also includes Tech Support for the duration of the eval.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.