Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

COBOL Web Application, no errors, but build fails

I am having an issue with a web application. We are migrating from a mainframe environment to a Microfocus web application. We have web applications for different transactions. There are several web applications in TFS, linked together with a Start_up menu type application. I have one application on my local computer, working fine, local IIS set up, builds correctly. One of the other developers has another application on their computer, working. But getting the source code from TFS to build hers on mine fails. There are no errors in the build, but it fails.

I'm wondering what steps I need to go through to determine where the error is occuring that is causing the build to fail, even though there is no errors in it. There are warnings, but of the not enough parameters in a call variety, which work ok on other applications. Again, the Start_up web application works for me on my local machine with another web app, but not the one downloaded from another developer.

0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: COBOL Web Application, no errors, but build fails

To follow up, when I remove the web application from the new solution, the Start_up project builds and starts properly. So I know it's the other application that is the culprit. I'm just not sure where to start looking, because there isn't a build error.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: COBOL Web Application, no errors, but build fails

I increased the verbosity of the output window during a build. Got that from this link:

blogs.msdn.com/.../did-you-know-you-can-configure-the-msbuild-verbosity-in-the-output-window-329.aspx

This enabled me to see that some of the code wasn't being added to TFS when created in Visual Studio. Specifically the designer and the cbl codebehind for Web Forms generated from Visual Studio in COBOL. You have to add those manually. Perhaps this is a bug in the Visual Studio add ins for Microfocus and Team Foundation Server?

If you add a webform in visual studio, the ASPX is added to TFS, but the designer and codebehind are not.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.