Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

COBOL instrumentation in Visual Studio

I am tasked with trying to find ways to improve performance of Visual COBOL application.  The Visual Studio Instrumentation appears to match to symbols from COBOL code for some functions, but in many cases can not match source.  I tried to VS Premium 2013 and VS Premium 2010 and get similar results to below.

The "Summary" of instrumentation process will show long running Functions, but when selected it will display "Source code not available.  You may not have the appropriate symbol paths or there was an error loading symbols.".  I have double checked the symbols path.  Is there any known issues with using VS Intrumentation?  Any suggestion for determining which functions in our COBOL app are taking most of the time?

0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: COBOL instrumentation in Visual Studio

Instrumentation is built in to Visual Studio, and appears to work on parts of COBOL code, but not all.  Is the Micro-Focus answer to this that we have to purchase DevPartner to get full Instrumentation on COBOL code?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

I'm afraid it appears you'll have to open an incident for this with your Micro Focus Customer Care representative, since it doesn't appear that anyone from the Visual Studio team has seen it.

I haven't tried to use VS instrumentation with native COBOL code myself, so I don't know if this is an issue just in your environment or if it's a general restriction in the product. There are, broadly speaking, some inherent complexities in mapping traditional COBOL sources to the symbol model used by Windows (and various Linux/UNIX flavors), since COBOL paragraphs and sections have to be converted by the compiler into a more complex structure of entry points in order to accommodate COBOL's control-flow mechanisms (like PERFORM THRU).

DevPartner, the last I checked, wasn't suitable for instrumenting COBOL. That's not one of the languages it supports.

Micro Focus COBOL includes its own profiler:

documentation.microfocus.com/.../GUID-B24815C1-3707-4806-9CDC-80FC98E046C4.html

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We are not trying to Instrument Native COBOL.  We are trying to Instrument Visual COBOL product.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.