Highlighted
Contributor.
Contributor.

Cobol Server 2012 Install

Jump to solution

Trying to install Cobol Server 2012 on a brand new Windows box.  Trying to run a web program (originally developed in NetExpress but recompiled in VC 2012), but the only thing that happens is the browser asks if I want to download the file.

Comparing to my NetExpress server, I see that the /bin folder for the MicroFocus server is in the path.  Does that folder need to be added to the path on the new server, too (not sure since I don't see anything in the docs indicating that I need to do so)?  If so, since it is a 64-bit machine, do I need to add /bin, /bin64, or both?

Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

RE: Cobol Server 2012 Install

Jump to solution

Regarding your question about the bin vs bin32 directories, is your application built to run as 32 or 64 bit? The bin directory contains the runtime components required for a COBOL application built as a 32 bit executable,  whereas the bin64 is for 64 bit.

You can see the additional PATH (and other environment) settings recommended for running COBOL applications  by launching one of the provided Visual COBOL Command Prompts. If you go to Start-> Micro Focus COBOL Server->Tools, you'll see shortcuts for Visual COBOL 2012 Command Prompts, both 32 and 64 bit. If you launch these, and then echo %PATH%, you'll see the additional items that are added to the PATH to support running COBOL, based on the your choice of 32 or 64 bit.

Blair McDonald

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

RE: Cobol Server 2012 Install

Jump to solution

Regarding your question about the bin vs bin32 directories, is your application built to run as 32 or 64 bit? The bin directory contains the runtime components required for a COBOL application built as a 32 bit executable,  whereas the bin64 is for 64 bit.

You can see the additional PATH (and other environment) settings recommended for running COBOL applications  by launching one of the provided Visual COBOL Command Prompts. If you go to Start-> Micro Focus COBOL Server->Tools, you'll see shortcuts for Visual COBOL 2012 Command Prompts, both 32 and 64 bit. If you launch these, and then echo %PATH%, you'll see the additional items that are added to the PATH to support running COBOL, based on the your choice of 32 or 64 bit.

Blair McDonald

View solution in original post

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.