Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Cobol program does not run (.exe)

Hi,

I have just installed Cobol VS 2012 on W7. Debugging and compilation process of an Cobol program was error free and the .exe file has been generated correctly (run time model is also dynamically linked). I know that the cobol source code is working correctly on other systems but when I started the program within VS2012 nothing happened. Also when I started the .exe file directly nothing happened. As I mentioned the run time modules are dynamically linked and I do not get any error messages. Absolutely nothing happens.

Any idea what I can do to get my programs running on my system?

Thx

Richard

0 Likes
3 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Can you start the program and step through it using F11 in the Visual Studio debugger?

If you open up a Visual COBOL command prompt, under Start Menu-->All Programs-->Micro Focus Visual COBOL -->Tools and navigate to the folder containing the .EXE and run it does it display an error message?

When you say that nothing happens, does it start and then exit or does it appear to hang and still show up in task manager?

Try placiing a display statement as the first statement in the procedure division and see if that is getting executed?

Thanks.

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Chris,

thanks for the quick response. Yes, I can step through the debugger with F11. I already tried the visual command prompt but nothing has happened. In the task manager I can see that the .exe file is executed. I even tried the "hello world" program but nothing appears on the screen. Hm.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

This does not make any sense to me.

Can you please open up a support incident with customer care for this issue as I believe that we will need to set up a webex session with you to see what is going on...

Thanks

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.