Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Configuration for VC

Jump to solution

I have a project in VC 2.1 with 150 managed programs and adding to about 225 in the end.  I am running Windows 7 with intel i3 cpu at 2.53 gz 4 gb ram and 133 gb harddrive,  To load my solution takes at least 3 minutes and to build to full solution and debug take at least 15 minutes.  Of course as I add projects to the solution it gets slower.  The only thing running besides Visual studio is my outlook. Do I need a better PC or are there other tricks to speed this up?  

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: Configuration for VC

Jump to solution

Hi kpeters,

When you build a .NET project, all sources file are recompiled into a single assembly; everything gets rebuilt.

For Visual COBOL 2.2, we will provide the ability to compile each program within a project into a separate assembly. This may help reduce the overall build time as only those files within the project that have changed will need to be recompiled.

In the interim, you maybe able to reduce build times by breaking up your solution into multiple projects which would reduce the number of programs in each project and the time required to build it.

Regards, Scot

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: Configuration for VC

Jump to solution

Hi kpeters,

When you build a .NET project, all sources file are recompiled into a single assembly; everything gets rebuilt.

For Visual COBOL 2.2, we will provide the ability to compile each program within a project into a separate assembly. This may help reduce the overall build time as only those files within the project that have changed will need to be recompiled.

In the interim, you maybe able to reduce build times by breaking up your solution into multiple projects which would reduce the number of programs in each project and the time required to build it.

Regards, Scot

View solution in original post

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.