Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Convert NetExpress project and programs and screens to Visual Cobol

Jump to solution

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 26 January 2011]

Hello,
i am Cláudio from Brazil.

I dont speak english very well.

How can i do to convert project in netexpress to Visual Cobol ?

Programs, Screens and others.

Thanks.

Cláudio Miguel Müller

claudiomiguelmuller@hotmail.com

www.meugibi.com

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor
I'm afraid your options are somewhat limited at the moment.

There are currently no tools to convert a Dialog System application to a Winform application.

And you cannot import a NetExpress project into Visual Studio.

On a very similar project I recently worked on, we took a Dialog System application and broke it into its base elements. There are three distinct layers, presentation, business logic, and data access (I/O), that you should focus on.

Using Visual COBOL, we took the exising procedural code and created classes and methods specific to the area they addressed.

Then we created a new user interface using Winforms, ASP.Net and C# and tied it to the new COBOL class elements we created.

It took less time than you would think to change it over and the results were something that was very maintainable.

Robert Collins

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor
Claudio, we need more information to help determine the best approach.
What kind of application is it currently? single tier, client server, web based, etc.
What type of screens? Character based or GUI (if GUI what kind?)

In general though if you have your inventory of COBOL programs and copybooks, it is fairly straightforward to define projects in Visual COBOL, define your copybook paths, Add existing COBOL programs to the project(s), and recompile. You may also need to adjust or use your existing compiler directive if you have any in use beyond the defaults.

Knowing what kind of user interface or screens is important though. Having all of the above information will also help determine whether to build Native or managed code (.NET) projects as a first step and ultimately what approach to take in migrating the application.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Hi,

What kind of application is it currently? single tier, client server, web based, etc.
NetExpress Project generate only apliccation single tier.

What type of screens? Character based or GUI (if GUI what kind?)
GUI Screens, with Dialog System.

What i convert this sources to visual Cobol ?

Thanks.

Cláudio Miguel Müller

www.meugibi.com

0 Likes
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor
I'm afraid your options are somewhat limited at the moment.

There are currently no tools to convert a Dialog System application to a Winform application.

And you cannot import a NetExpress project into Visual Studio.

On a very similar project I recently worked on, we took a Dialog System application and broke it into its base elements. There are three distinct layers, presentation, business logic, and data access (I/O), that you should focus on.

Using Visual COBOL, we took the exising procedural code and created classes and methods specific to the area they addressed.

Then we created a new user interface using Winforms, ASP.Net and C# and tied it to the new COBOL class elements we created.

It took less time than you would think to change it over and the results were something that was very maintainable.

Robert Collins

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Please,
my software that i need to convert is this www.cobol.com.ar/files2sql.

Can i re-write in new Visual Cobol cobol-sources and gui-sources-dialog-system?

Cláudio.

Thanks.

Cláudio Miguel Müller

www.meugibi.com

0 Likes
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor
Yes it can be reworked. You will need to pick a new interface though. Since you are familiar with Dialog System, I would recommend building the user interface using Winforms.

Robert Collins

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
I'd recommend that you simply redesign the existing screens in Visual Studio rather than depending on any tool or writing a tool that does it. We've been that route, but not worth it. I'm not sure how many screens you have, but in our application, we have around 50+ screens, which I was able to redesign in Visual Studio within no time. It hardly took a couple of hours. Bubba :0) was right!... there are no tools available at this time, not sure if there are any plans on rolling out one.

Thanks,
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.