Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Create web service with Visual studio 2015, generate Wsdl

good day
Someone has some example, or tutorial or explanation of how I can create a web service in native cobol, where also explain how I generate the wsdl file for a SOAP platform, beforehand a thousand thanks, since I only find information on how to do this process in Eclipse and I can not replicate it in visual

Aprediz desarrollador en cobol nativo

0 Likes
10 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

You can create a SOAP or REST based Web service from a native (unmanaged) COBOL program by using the Interface Mapping Toolkit (IMTK) and deploying it to Enterprise Server.

This is covered in the documentation and there is also a tutorial for it here.

If you are compiling your COBOL application as managed .NET then you can also create a Web Service for it using the templates for Windows Communication Foundation (WCF). There is a tutorial for this as well in the documentation here.

Take a look in the Samples Browser which is available from the Visual COBOL group and look under the category for BookDemo or WCF for more examples.

Thanks

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hello Chris, Thank you very much for your valuable collaboration.

try to follow your tutorial advice, but my visual studio does not have the option in mention, what should I do to implement it, I have looked for solutions and try to start from a wsdl file for the service, but I do not count how to connect it

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

What product version are you using? Is this a full product license or is it a trial or Personal Edition license?

I believe that you will need to have an SOA (Service-Oriented Architecture) license in order to activate this feature but I am awaiting confirmation on this.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

It is a version with integrated Visual studio shield, it is not a trial or freeware license

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

I am not really sure what it is that you are referring to.

Can you please run Visual Studio and select Help and then About Visual Studio.
Please copy and paste the Visual Studio product description here.

Then highlight the option for Micro Focus Visual COBOL in the selection box and copy/past the information under Product Details.

Thanks.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

The screenshot shows that you are using the Visual Studio 2013 Shell along with Visual COBOL 2.2 which is quite an old product release.

I would highly recommend that you contact your Account Manager about upgrading to the latest product release which is 3.0 and obtaining an SOA product license that supports the creation of web services and clients.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks chris, they sent me a link to proceed with the download of the update

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hello chris, after updating the version of microfocus cobol to version 3.0 I do not have the option, and I can not find anything in the download link that they sent me for support. Can I create a web service to query my database through a Wsdl file with the option Web Service Client Application from WSDL / JSON ?, if so, how can I map to my network unit where is the database , so that through the service can make queries in the database?

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

If you wish to deploy a native COBOL application to Enterprise Server so that it can be accessed as a Web Service then you will need a Visual COBOL for SOA license. Then the correct template will be displayed as shown below:

You will need to ask your Account Manager specifically for this type of license.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.