Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Creating 'builds' from DLLs with inbuilt legacy code references!

This might sound complicated but...

Our 'current' NET EXPRESS system is built using ONE .EXE which then calls .int files as required.

We're trying to replicate this idea by having a single 'top level' .EXE file (A.EXE) which then calls out to .DLL files (representing the old .ints).

Some of the .DLLs we've built contain a 'top level form program' which contains new 'managed code' which will then call out to 'non managed' code (old COBOL code in a VisCobol wrapper) which we've built as .DLL files in their own right but are referenced within the 'managed code .DLL).

For test purposes and to make sure these new 'top level' .DLLs work we initially built them as .EXE's in their own right and they work perfectly well.

We've then changed the output type for these top level programs, to 'Class Library', and built them as .DLLs. We've then attemped to 'build' these .DLLs into A.EXE as added to A..EXE's solution & referenced as an existing project. So far so good.

On attempting to build A.EXE, after adding in the new .DLL, I get the following errors for each of my 'old COBOL' programs built into my top level .DLL

Error 4 The OutputPath property is not set for project 'LegacyIPVal.cblproj'.  Please check to make sure that you have specified a valid combination of Configuration and Platform for this project.  Configuration='Debug'  Platform='BPC'.  This error may also appear if some other project is trying to follow a project-to-project reference to this project, this project has been unloaded or is not included in the solution, and the referencing project does not build using the same or an equivalent Configuration or Platform. C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\Microsoft.Common.targets 484 

and A.EXE will not build. Whats the problem and how  can I solve it?

0 Likes
5 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Mark,

I have opened up new support incident 2591769 for this issue as this is not really a question for the forum.

We will need you to zip up your Visual COBOL solution and projects and attach them to the incident so that we may take a closer look.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

How do I see this incident you've created as my own MF login doesn't see it at all?

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

I have responded to you directly in e-mail.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Ok...further update...

I've now established that the reason for my Error 4's on each of the 'Legacy Code' programs was because they were not included in the actual solution folder for A.EXE which I find a bit odd as they ARE included in the solution folders for the top level .DLL files.

I've also noticed that these 'legacy' programs don't need to be 'referenced' within the A.EXE solution but do need to be part of the solution itself in order that the error 4's don't occur and the A.EXE gets built.

This is a concern as it would now appear that we need to include ALL our programs within the A.EXE solution in order for it to build out correctly which seems a bit of a waste given that I'm now gonna have to create a 500 program solution folder. Can this be correct?

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Mark,

I really need for you to send me the solution and projects in order for me to comment on the problem.

Thanks.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.