Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Creating reports? - got any good ideas?

Hi all,

How to simplify the user experience re. generating, viewing and printing reports in a Windows environment?

Currently I display report output in an MF Dialog system window and have a [print] button to print using various MF COBOL routines, PC_PRINTER_SET_DEFAULT, PC_PRINTER_SET_FONT etc. The reports are basic using fixed-spaced characters to force column alignment. They look old-fashioned and text is small.

HOW DO YOU PRINT from Visual COBOL?

I'm wondering about launching a browser to handle the print so users can re-size, use browser's print / pdf-export etc. Any thoughts?

I'm about to switch to MYSQL - perhaps you use a tool that reports from MYSQL directly?

ANY THOUGHTS WELCOME.

Regards, Linden

Linden Rowland - IT Consultant
Owner/Developer, www.SchoolReportWriter.com
IT Consultant to Tindle Newspaper Group

0 Likes
6 Replies
Admiral
Admiral

Noting better then list&label from combit, www.combit.net

Listings, cards, labels, charts, barcode, and many more

I can give you a demonstration or you can download a trial version by combit

My programm to integrate this tool is written in cobol, working wifhout problem with all visual cobol versions

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thank you for your suggestion greiner.

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I have been using FormPrint from Flexus for almost 20 years now and I have been very happy with their product and support. Here is their link:

www.flexus.com/.../cobol-formprint

Kevin

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks Kevin

0 Likes
Commodore
Commodore

We here use Crystal Reports for Visual Studio, serves us very well!

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks WPita_MMSIS, useful to hear what people are using. Regards, Linden

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.