Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Data Grid

Hi

Are there any good sample programs/systems that demonstrate how to implement a datagrid? I want to create a simple program that populates a grid then allows users to click on an entry to open a new form for amendment. I will have a button for 'Add' also. Standard stuff I would imagine, so why can't I find it?

I'm going through the Visual COBOL training at the moment and can't find anything on this. Indeed, I can't find enough examples on how to deal with the new visual objects and controls. For example, setting and detecting checkboxes. It may well be that these do exist but I've just not come across them.

Many thanks

Ian

0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

RE: Data Grid

Although Visual COBOL has been integrated into Windows Forms, Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) and Web Forms (ASP.NET), these are actually Microsoft technologies.

Therefore a majority of the examples that you will find for these technologies, you will find for languages like C# and VB.NET.

If you Google what you are looking for, you are sure to come up with many hits, most likely for these other languages that I mention.

We do have some samples, both in the Samples Browser that is installed as part of Visual COBOL and in our knowledgebase and on this Community Forum and the list of samples continues to grow.

We have just this week integrated our KB system with the Community site so you should be able to go to the search entry field at the top of this web page and enter your topic such as "datagrid" and you should be able to find some references to articles and examples.

If you enter "checkbox" for example you will see a link to an article about using the CheckBox control in Visual COBOL.

If you are looking for something specific that is not covered here or you find a snippet of code that is written in C# or VB.NET, feel free to post it here and we will do our best to provide you will a COBOL equivalent.

Managed COBOL syntax is actually very close to C# syntax and these programs are fairly simple to convert.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks Chris

I've just found examples of the other 'simpler' controls in some other projects that are listed in exercises at the end of the VC chapter 13 training. Radio buttons, checkboxes, etc. no problem.

I appreciate that the datagrids, and indeed all the other controls, such as a checkbox, are microsoft technologies but you (MF) have provided samples of how to use these simple controls. What I'm looking to do is not have to re-invent any wheels you see. Yes, I could probably work it out with a combination of tinternet and the C# programmer in my office, but as with every developer, I want a shortcut in the same way that I did with viewing a piece of code that deals with the checkbox. Albeit, a simple example that I can then understand and expand as per my requirements.

Maybe somebody else has a simple example of this?

Many thanks

Ian

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.