Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Database Connector Question

Jump to solution

We are going to be using the Microfocus Database Connectors with Visual COBOL.  In our SQL data, we are looking to encrypt certain fields using the Transparent Data Encryption. 

My question is - Does the Database Connectors handle the encrypting/UN-encrypting part when sending the data to/from Visual COBOL program?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Database Connector Question

Jump to solution

Hello AmyM1,

Database Connectors has not been formally tested with Transparent Database Encryption. However, my informal testing today has shown that with a SQL Server database with TDE enabled, Database Connectors works just fine. This makes sense, because I believe that TDE is supposed to be transparent to the application accessing the data.

Blair McDonald

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Betreff: Database Connector Question

Jump to solution

Why do you want to use a dabase connecor?

It's so easy to use SQL in Cobol programs!

And there is no Problem to Change the isam code to SQL code! Of Long side time, this will be the better solution!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Database Connector Question

Jump to solution

We are using Database Connectors because this is what we decided to do.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Database Connector Question

Jump to solution

Hello AmyM1,

Database Connectors has not been formally tested with Transparent Database Encryption. However, my informal testing today has shown that with a SQL Server database with TDE enabled, Database Connectors works just fine. This makes sense, because I believe that TDE is supposed to be transparent to the application accessing the data.

Blair McDonald

View solution in original post

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.