Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Debugging under the Cobol Server 2012 runtime

Jump to solution

I need help in debugging in the Run Time Environment since this is our first experience with it.

We are migrating from NE 3.1 to VC 2.1.

I used Visual Studio originally to compile and then run these batch programs from the command line on the server we have Visual Studio/Visual Cobol installed.

These are all compiled in “native” mode.

Then used the command line compiler for both dll’s and exe’s to overlay the ones created by using Visual Studio.

All the programs ran successfully again.

Then I copied the command line compiled  dll’s and exe’s to the server where

Cobol Server 2012 was installed – this is how we plan to implement when we put this into production.

When I run under the Cobol Server 2012 I have no success.  After some research I found the doco on the Tracing Facility in your Cobol Server 2.1 under Visual Cobol Deployment.

Under the runtime when I run the Start command from the command line I get a flash of a DOS command window and then it disappears. Normally the DOS window stays open and you are able to see our message file display on the Dos window while the program runs.

I have attached the cfg file and the output log (about 20 lines) created by the trace.

I see where I get the 255 error on the MF.RTS, but I have not figured out how to expand this info to really point to what the error is.

I updated the .cfg to just use info at the highest level and ended up with the same log output.

Can you help on this or do I need to open an incident in Support Line?

Are there parameters I need to add to get more detail ?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

RE: Debugging under the Cobol Server 2012 runtime

Jump to solution

The trace file shows that this is RTS error 245 which is the following:

COBRT245 There are no valid product licenses (Fatal)

Have you installed a valid license for the COBOL Server product on this computer?

You can run the Micro Focus License Manager and check the tab for Licenses to see what licenses have been installed.

The COBOL Server license is different than the Visual COBOL development license.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

The trace file shows that this is RTS error 245 which is the following:

COBRT245 There are no valid product licenses (Fatal)

Have you installed a valid license for the COBOL Server product on this computer?

You can run the Micro Focus License Manager and check the tab for Licenses to see what licenses have been installed.

The COBOL Server license is different than the Visual COBOL development license.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Thank you for the quick reply and solution.  I now understand more of the pieces of the trace info and how to use this to resolve issues.  Program ran correctly and matched what we had in the Visual Studio/Visual Cobol environment.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

You might also look into creating a binary CTF trace file using the BINFILE emitter instead of TEXTFILE.

You can then use the ctfviewer program to look at the trace and it will have a much more user-friendly interface using actual textual descriptions of the errors, etc.

Thanks.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.