Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
KevinK Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Dialog System & ActiveX

Is anyone using the ActiveX controls from Component One (Grape City)?

0 Likes
6 Replies
NormJ Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: Dialog System & ActiveX

We have been using Flexgrid with Dialog System for many years. We are currently using Visual Cobol with Dialog System.  When we started rewriting our system in Managed code we are replacing FlexGrid with DevExpress XtraGrid.

0 Likes
KevinK Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Norm,

I used to use the Far Point ActiveX controls with Dialog System a while ago. Those controls were acquired by Component One a few years ago.

I am trying to evaluate their "True DB Text 8.0" control but I am having some issues, I think because the eval has expired. I have asked them to extend the eval, but so far have not been successful in doing so.

The strange thing is, any control I try of theirs that is past the 30 day trial fails but other controls that I did not try, seem to be working.

I was hoping to find someone that knows for sure that the "True DB Text 8.0" control works in a Visual COBOL / Dialog System Environment before I commit to a purchase.

Kevin

0 Likes
greiner Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Dialog System is not perfect and "End of Live" and no future, but many customers continue to work with this tool. Here must Micro Focus help with good examples to pass facility to dotnet application/screenset in Visual Studio, also webinars.

0 Likes
Honored Contributor.

is it allways a grid?

0 Likes
Honored Contributor.

how easy is the integration in Cobol (Netexpress 5.x or Visual Cobol 2.x? Can you show us a screenset/application?

0 Likes
NeilH1
New Member.

Sometimes there are challenges using ActiveX controls with the dialog system - particularly native code, in getting your parameters into the right object format, without Micro Focus help we would not have been able to resolve them.

We use the Codejock controls extensively, so much so that Microsoft thought our interface was C++ (Long live COBOL).

If you are about to embark on a U, I I would not use the Dialog system, as already mentioned it's end of life and 32 bit only.

Another consideration when buying 3rd party controls - are they digitally signed? - important if you redistribute your product.

Neil

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.