Highlighted
Contributor.
Contributor.

Don't understand SORT error message

In a program that does a sort with input- and output-procedures, I get this error message:

I/O error: file 'SORTFILE'

error code: 9/220 (ANS74), pc=0, call=1, seg=0

220   Attempt to execute more than one SORT or MERGE simultaneously

Attached GDC02.txt is the COBOL source code.  What am I doing wrong?

0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor.
Contributor.

RE: Don't understand SORT error message

Yikes -- I can't figure out how to attach my COBOL source code.  I'm such a newbie.  Please advise how I can attach an ascii text file.  

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

RE: Don't understand SORT error message

Click on the "Use rich fomatting" link at bottom and then click on the Options tab and select attach file.

Alternatively you can copy/paste the source directly in the post if it is small.

The 220 usually occurs if you are doing an exit out of the input or output procedure paragraph without letting it complete and return back to the sort statement.

Let me see your source and I will tell you if that is the case here...

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.