Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Eclipse Errors

Jump to solution

Is there a way to tell Eclipse that Echo is a reserved word for Accept Statements, which it is for RM Cobol (Until I remove them all).

Either Eclipse tells me that every ECHO is an error, or I add Echo to the Working Storage, which makes Eclipse happy, but then the Program won't build because I have a Reserved Word in Working Storage ...

I can ignore the Error messages for ECHO, but we have a prompt heavy system, and I won't be able to use Eclipses find error features.

I just need to tell Eclipse that ECHO is ok, for now.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Figured out how to make it work ... changed that last filler to.

03 FILLER PIC X(20) VALUE Z' < /dev/null'. which supplies the correct null at the end of the command line.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
13 Replies
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

Hi Eric, are you compiling with the dialect(rm) directive?

If not, try adding this at the top of the source file starting in col 7:

$set dialect(rm)

0 Likes
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

Hello Eric,

It appears you may aleady have dialect(rm) turned on, either through $set dialect(rm) or through the Eclipse. In either event, the ECHO entry in Working Storage will be flagged as a reserved item if dialect(rm) is on. Using the default MF/COBOL dialect should enable ECHO to be set as a varible in Working Storage. This is a case where the RM Dialect does not provide 100% compatibility. We recommend that you use the Compatibility Guide, in the online help facility, under Micro Focus Visual COBOL 2.2 ...., Programming, Compatibility, Compatility with RM/COBOL Applications,  to modify the code so that you will not need to use dialect(rm).

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

So no work around ... to make Eclipse happy, while I'm importing my RM/Cobol?

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

I am not seeing the error of which you speak when I use dialect"rm" or just the rm directive.

I  believe that you also had an open incident regarding the call "system" but it failed if you set dialect"rm" on because of the different call-convention used when dialect"rm" is on.

I find that both the echo and the call "system" work correctly if I use $set rm instead of $set dialect"rm" at least when testing under Windows.

The following compiles and runs fine under VC 2.2 for Eclipse update 1 when I run it locally under Windows.

$set rm
      identification division.
      program-id. Program1.
      environment division.
      configuration section.
      data division.
      working-storage section.
      01 field-1   pic x(10) value "12345".
      01 any-key  pic x.
      procedure division.

display "test"

accept field-1 line 5 position 5 echo
          call "SYSTEM" using "notepad.exe c:\temp\test.txt"

accept any-key

goback.

end program Program1.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

using $set rm also works with Visual COBOL for Eclipse with remote projects on  DevHub, though you will want to terminate the string call using all SYSTEM with a null terminator such as

CALL "SYSTEM" USING "touch /home/support/test.txt \0" .

Or

CALL "SYSTEM" USING z"touch /home/support/test.txt"

the z will tell COBOL to null terminate the string that follows.

Otherwise a file will be created named test.txt8? instead of test.txt.

The accept echo statement also works under this scenerio.

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Using $set RM vs $set DIALECT"RM", worked great!!

Is $set RM the better choice when choosing RM Methods?

0 Likes
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

For RM library routines you may need to follow the second example in the KB below:

community.microfocus.com/.../20176.rmcobol-library-routines-call-convention.aspx

Also consult the compatibility guide in the onlines for the product for other known compatibility issues.

For specific RM methods, you may encounter varying levels of success.

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I have found an issue ... if you build the Using Portion of the Call "SYSTEM" in working-storage, you cannot specify the Z option. Which makes for some unpredictable results. Such as the system inventing some additional e-mails, that are completely bogus.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

If you can supply a small reproducible test case, that would be useful.

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Is there a way to specify the Z option in the Call and still use a Working-Storage variable for the Call?

Something like.

CALL "SYSTEM" USING Z,VARIABLE-BUILT-SCRIPT.

?

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

No this will not work.

As Phil had mentioned can you show us an example of what you are doing?

It should be something like:

01 my-command  pic x(20) value z"mycommand".

call "SYSTEM" using my-command.

Be aware that if the PIC clause is larger than the literal in the value clause that trailing spaces will appear after the null and this may be causing the problem.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.