Captain
Captain

Eclipse and Visual Cobol install problems.

Wow after working for many of the greatest banks, like Goldman, Suisse, Privates, big studios like Warner and Sony. all i wanted to do, was try to see how Visual works with Eclipse, so  far been trying for 3 weeks. First tried it with Visual Studio was no problem, but too much overhead, and had issues in doing simple things. When I tried Eclipse, everything broke down, have done everything to my pc, just for it to work, now trying for weeks. moving files, partitioning, getting rid of any sub linux subsystems, all that worked perfectly with GnuCobol. But with simple Eclipse and VS Cobol, only was able to get it to work twice the rest of the time, was not able to connect eclipse with VS on a Windows 10 PC. The Customer service been of zero help, no answer from them at all, so i come here, to see if someone could just help me, get it to work. I will say the Visual Studio was with Visual Cobol, but there was no documentation how to open or write files, it was all very confusing, though in straight cobol, on MainFrames or GnuCobol its straight forward. After installing Eclipse the windows way, and then Microfocus Cobol with all the steps in their Docs, with the right license key and all, nothing happens, cant do a simple run of even a display statement, whereas in Visual Studio with Visual Cobol no problem, with vscode and guncobol no problem, with any other IDE and their requirements no problem, only with Eclipse and Visual Cobol has it been a major headache so far, with no help from anywhere.

0 Likes
10 Replies
Captain
Captain

if i create a brand new program with jvm runtime i can get cobol programs to work, even copying code from  other programs, but going through their eclipse microfocus course which i downloaded with the install, is when nothing works. cant get any of their projects to run. its possible that since those projects where created in 2015, and my download of visual and eclipse is from Dec of 2020, not sure.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

What errors do you get?
0 Likes
Captain
Captain

well i am trying to find the best cobol compiler ide for windows.
have tried everything, gnucobol, mf for vstudio, other ides, all works
easy, ubunto, dabian. Everything worked smoothly until i tried eclipse and
mf. then all broke out. got all kinds of errors from mf or eclipse,
sometimes it worked sometimes not. so... solution, destroy and create. i
completely reformatted my pc, installed win again, and now the problem im
getting, i have used the mf pe license too many times, so now i
need i guess a new download so i can get a new license key. My guess will
take a week to get, since ive gotten zero help from support at mf.
0 Likes
Captain
Captain

well it looks like i was able to key nother license key, so at least i can check it out now on brand new windows machine. Now ill just try and create a simple cobol program see if it works. the next i need to do is see how mf uses files, any special setup you need for mf, besides whats need for cobol?

0 Likes
Captain
Captain

ok so now i finally got mf to work with eclipse. must say, eclipse uses a lot less overhead than say microsofts, visual studios ide. so will use eclipse for now, next is just to make sure i figure out how to open and create files under the managed cobol of mf

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Read through the tutorials, look through the videos on the community MF site. Should get your going
0 Likes
Captain
Captain

I appreciate all the help, since i realize there are many seasoned vets here. However, though i did watch similar videos before and read the manual, nothing helped. And i tried many different things, uninstalling this, adding this etc etc, nothing. What did help was, formating the pc, installing fresh window, eclipse and mf, and walla worked first time. No issues.

At this point was able to create simple JVM Projects, with the Cobol package etc, but new programs and imported old program work. However, though i can easily run programs with input and output files in gnucobol, in Linux, or Windows, here with Eclipse and MF, cant get files and output files  to work. So if i import a file, into my package and i make the necessary changes to the configuration and make sure it in the right structure. I cant get it to run, my dat  files are also in the src->domain, but wont run. maybe im missing a config settings for the files, any help appreciated, even a video will do, since i did not find anything out there, not on this site, or MFs site, or youtube.

0 Likes
Captain
Captain

If i can just say this, when i was over at the Microsoft Help Community thing for their Editor, i had a problem with a plugin, though i sent like 20 post, trying to explain my problem, i didnt not get one reply, well i got, like read the manual, or watch this pdf, but after a while i realized that not one, had my setup, everyone was using setups, in Linux, I was the only one in those conversations using WSL, which i realized noone there had ever hear off. To use WSL you need to be part of the latest Microsoft testers or which will be the latest windows which i think will be Windows 20, so we where just going around in circles. And so far I have not gotten one answer, from anyone here, to try and help me fix the issue. Though i ended fixing it by destroying and creating. But now the question i have is, have to use files in MF, so far nothing no answer. Also why dont some of important preferences work in VC, such as, when i right click on a file in VC and go to preferences, so the colors and text and all i can get to work, by following the videos, but most of what the video   says doesnt work. So for example in Cobol -> Editor none of Typing preferences work, even though i have smart editing, the lines dont align, comment blocks dont work, I do realize many new people are comming over to Cobol, but they need some way, to be helped just to get started, no one is asking here what 77 or 88 or what tables mean in Cobol, or how to run soap or rest services, just simple stuff. Do i need maybe the EE version of eclipse for these to work, does it work with the PE version of MF, or do i need to MF Visual Cobol version, unfortunately i dont want to waste weeks now, trying all those combinations, uninstall and reinstall, like i have already done,  for weeks just to get MF to work with Eclipse, which to me was just step one. you see if i create a Java, C#, Pascal, Kotlin, GNUcobol whatever, there is no issue in any editor, you can write a program with all the options no problem, so far only in Eclipse and MF, has there been major issues, just to get it to run, well that is solved. If i am having these issues, and i know editors and languages than many, imagine someone brand new, how they must be struggling, and why they will probably never want to code in Cobol or ever use MF, ever if they get into all these difficulties, with no help from anywhere. using MF in visual Studio 2017, and 2019 of which i have also tried, worked smoothly, though still didnt figure out how to use files,  same with eclipse, but resources required was heavy, and not worth coding in, even using 2017 or 2019 for python or c++, which works fine, but you can tell its resource heavy even on an i7 quad. so imagine with MF, how heavy it is, which is why im here with Eclipse, which is so much lighter than VS, and runs so much faster. Besides to use calls from Java with JVM, i have no choice anyways.

0 Likes
Captain
Captain

well its kind of funny, i ask the questions and then after some hard work, i answer my own question, only since im not getting any help here. Same thing happened in Visual Studio forum, the advice i got over there, was uninstall and reinstall, they not understanding that the way Visual Studio works in Linux as opposed to WSL in windows is not the same, there certainly are some bugs there, which i found out the hard way.

First the videos out there, on Eclipse VC, need to beupdated, they basically have the right idea for back then, but the ideas cant be applied to the current versions out there today. For example in eclipse i had to download the Enterprise version of Eclipse, size is about 6 times larger than standard ide. But not sure if that was what made it work. So what i di anyways in preferences -> General -> COBOL -> Editor -> Typing.  Besides toggling on options in the Wrapping dialog, you also need to click on Configure formatting preferences in the Indentation Dialog, this is not mentioned in video, rightfully so, since that video is dated back a couple of years, when this version of Eclipse was not available. In that Formatter Dialog box you then chose wrap at Column, in our case 72, its set to 1 by default. Then if you click Automatically format on Save, it will wrap the text past 72 into next line, when you save the doc. So it doesnt happen on the moment as video explains. Also in this version you can align To keywords, and much more. Still working on where to place files, so far cant get them to open or write, but program has no errors. Downloading older versions of eclipse will be a mess, since video doesnt mention which they are using, and then you need to get older versions of net, and such just to get it to match, so not really worth my time, going back to the past and wasting extra time, better to see if you can apply the old info to the new, by trying and trying until you figure out the missing piece.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello, and welcome to the Micro Focus Community site. I'm sorry to hear that you've had issues getting help with your use of Visual COBOL for Eclipse. I'm a Support Engineer with Micro Focus Customer Support. I'd like to make some suggestions that may help you get timely help while evaluating the product. I'd also like to better understand the issues you've faced, and especially the difficulty you've had with getting help from Customer Support.

From your comments, it appears you are using Visual COBOL Personal Edition. This is a learning tool for students, with the limitations that it can only compile a program with less than 2200 source lines and you cannot use any of the compiled code in production. The primary goal of Personal Edition is to help students and others learn COBOL. Problems with the Personal Edition product can only be reported through the Community Site.

From what I can see, you joined the Community Site on December 24th, and then posted on December 25th that you'd been trying to use Visual COBOL for Eclipse product for 3 weeks, and that "The Customer service been of zero help, no answer from them at all". Can you share the details of your attempts to contact support? Did you previously post questions to the Community Site using a different login? I'd like to follow up to make sure that we are being responsive to customer inquiries and support requests. If you would prefer to do this privately, I can be reached at blair.mcdonald@microfocus.com.

Next, since you are attempting to evaluate the product, my suggestion would be for you to sign up for a 30-day Visual COBOL Trial Evaluation. This version includes the full product (no limitations on features; but you are still not allowed to use the resulting programs in Production) and after qualification, will allow you full access to Customer Support. This will allow you to create Support Incidents, have phone calls or exchange emails with Customer Support engineers, and even do screen shares to demonstrate problems and receive assistance. Please let me know if you'd like to pursue this option, and I can put you in touch with a Micro Focus Account Manager to help you with obtaining this product.

Blair McDonald

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.