Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Error 114 updating to Object COBOL 4.0.32

Jump to solution

I'm at a loss...  We have some legacy applications that are compiled with Object COBOL 4.0.32 which was installed on an older desktop.  The desktop recently died and I'm now trying to install the compiler on a newer machine.  The machine is WinXP SP3 with 1GB RAM.  Nothing is running on it and I've disabled NAV, the firewall and everything in the BIOS set-up that looked like it might get in the way. 

I was able to install COBOL 4.0.07 and the WinSDK without a problem, but trying to run the 4.0.32 Update keeps throwing an error when it gets to "Checking Configuration...":

Execution error: file 'UPDATE' error code: 114, pc=0;call=1,seg=0 (Signal 11)

I have tried running it in Compatibility mode and unchecking the "Protect my files" option under "Run As" as well as running it as Administrator.  I have also tried Safe Mode in XP, a Win98 Virtual machine, running it from the command prompt, and I removed a 512MB RAM chip to see if it was an issue with too much memory. Oh and I did add the Update.exe to the "DEP" exception list.

I've googled the issue every which way I can think of, but so far nothing has helped.  Oh and I had a colleague try installing it on another older desktop running WinXP SP2 and she ran into the same issue, so I don't think it's machine-specific.

Also, I apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong place!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: Error 114 updating to Object COBOL 4.0.32

Jump to solution

FYI, I never did fix the update, but I was able to get a copy of the COBOL40 folder with the 4.0.32 version of the compiler.  I've copied it to the new machine and loaded the Sentinel driver (so that it could find the dongle), and I'm back in business.  

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

I did find an old KB article that suggest that the problem might actually be due to the setup.exe not being Y2K compliant:

Error 114 when installing Object Cobol 4.0

Product:   COBOL Developer Suite KB Number:   17299

Product Family:   Workbench Date Published:   2003-05-05 00:00:00.000

Problem

Release: 4.0 This is due to the fact that the setup.exe file is not Y2K compatable.

Resolution

oinsthist.log (which is in the TEMP directry) setmfenv.bat (which is in the WINNT directory or where you have NT installed) COBOL32 (and subdirs. Or where you have installed COBOL) INSTALL.MF (directory) 2. Set the system date to a date before 1/1/2000. 3. Reboot the machine. 4. Install base product of Workbench (4.0.07) from CD. 5. Apply any updates required from ftp site: ftp.microfocus.com/.../cobol-workbench-v4.0 6. Reset system date back to today's. 7. Reboot the machine.  

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Thank you for the suggestion, Chris.  MF released a "Fixy2K" patch some years ago that can be used to run the Setup - I used that and was able to install 4.0.07 without a problem.  It's the Update.exe for 4.0.32 that's now throwing the 114 error but just to be on the safe side, I did try setting the date back to 1998 and running the Update and it still threw it.  Sigh...  The strange thing is that I have loaded the Update several times in the past, even on XP and never had an error...

Don't suppose you have any other suggestions?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

FYI, I never did fix the update, but I was able to get a copy of the COBOL40 folder with the 4.0.32 version of the compiler.  I've copied it to the new machine and loaded the Sentinel driver (so that it could find the dongle), and I'm back in business.  

View solution in original post

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.