Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Error 173 calling program in VC for Eclipse

Jump to solution

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 23 September 2011]

Running VC R4 for Eclipse under Windows XP.

I have imported 270ish green-screen programs to a single project and compiled them successfully. However, on trying to run them, the first program enters and runs up till the point where it calls the second program, when it fails with an error 173. There is an .exe for the second program in the same directory as the first program's .exe. I have compiled with target type "All executable files" and in the run configuration I have set up COBPATH and COBIDY to point to the appropriate Configuration.bin directory. I have "Program is part of project build configuration" unchecked and nothing in the working directory, and the entry program in Main Program. I suspect that there's some environment variable I've overlooked. Could anyone point me in the right direction?
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

RE: Error 173 calling program in VC for Eclipse

Jump to solution
The support for these older call-by-number routines and direct calls to character based PANELS should be supported in a future update release of Visual COBOL.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution
An .EXE is compiled and linked as a main program.
An .EXE cannot call another .EXE using the COBOL call statement.

If you wish to call a separately compiled program then it needs to exist as a .DLL and it must exist in the same folder as the main program or it must be in a folder locatable by the PATH environment variable.

So an .EXE can call a .DLL using the name of the .dll in the call statement.

If you really wish to launch an .EXE from another .EXE it can be launched in a separate process using the library routine CBL_EXEC_RUN_UNIT or the Windows API call CreateProcess.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Thanks Chris, that's got it far enough to call another program and then crash for another reason.

I'm now getting another error 173. I use some ADIS functionality and when calling x"af" I'm getting an error 173 - fails to load "PANELS". Is there some library I need to include in the link list?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution
Which exact AF function call are you using?
Can you show me what it looks like?

I just did a test here using AF function 1 and it worked fine without adding anything additional for linking.

Thanks.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Function 49:

01 ws-adis-panel-function pic 99 comp-x.
01 ws-adis-panel-dummy-param pic x.

move 49 to ws-adis-panel-function
call x"af" using ws-adis-panel-function
ws-adis-panel-dummy-param

Thanks.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution
These calls are for the character based Panels facility that was provided in Net Express and earlier products.

The support for character based Panels is not currently included in the Visual COBOL product so programs that make use of this facility will generate the error that you are seeing.

This support is being considered for possible inclusion in a later release of Visual COBOL.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution
Hi Mike,

Can you please e-mail me directly at chris.glazier@microfocus.com and give me your contact and company information?

Thanks.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution
The support for these older call-by-number routines and direct calls to character based PANELS should be supported in a future update release of Visual COBOL.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.