Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Error 179 - MFRUN.gnt cant be found

Jump to solution

Error 179 - MFRUN.gnt cant be found on COBOL Server for Windows

I have looked at previous post on this subject which seemed to be cleared by simply restarting server

http://community.microfocus.com/microfocus/cobol/visual_cobol/f/18/t/9268.aspx.

We have compiled a simple program to gnt through Visual COBOL 2012 and I can run successfully from CMD prompt by - RUN PROG1

The gnt is then transferred to a Production Server but whenever we try to run as above we get - Error 179 - MFRUN.gnt cant be found.

Also tried RUNW etc. On the Prod server we don't seem to have CREATEENV.bat as on Dev Server. We created one of those to set up the environment.

I don't believe it is ever getting to our application program. However, we have some other programs called from C which appear to get called successfully - so the cobol run time appears to be working ok.

Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

This is not a complete COBOL Server installation. I would believe that whoever installed this simply packaged the bin64 folder along with your application. If COBOL Server is actually installed it should appear under the list of installed programs in Windows -->Control Panel-->Programs and Features

When you execute the RUN.EXE command by itself, what is the banner that is displayed? It appears to me that perhaps the RUN.EXE is from an earlier product release such as Net Express as Visual COBOL no longer uses .gnt files as system files.

Are all the applications that you are running compiled as 64-bit?

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

When you state that you transfer the .gnt to a Production Server and try to run it, can you tell me how you are trying to run it? Are you trying to run the program directly on that server computer or from a workstation that is mapped to that server? Do you have the COBOL Server 2012 product installed on that server computer? There should be a createenv.bat file directly in the COBOL Server 2012 install folder and there should also be a shortcut to a 32-bit and 64-bit Visual COBOL command prompt in the COBOL Server folder on the Start menu.

If you are running from a workstation then there is more setup required to run your application. Please see previous post here

If you are running directly on the server then ensure that COBDIR is set to point to your COBOL Server installation folder and not to the bin folder.

COBDIR=C:\Program Files (x86)\Micro Focus\COBOL Server 2012

PATH should be set to point to the bin folder

PATH=C:\Program Files (x86)\Micro Focus\COBOL Server 2012\bin

Also make sure that you do not have any older versions of RUN.EXE within your PATH such as versions from Net Express or Server for COBOL.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hello Chris,

Now raised by someone else as SupportLine Incident #2842394

However, thanks very much for your useful input. I should explain this is a UK Central Government site and this Windows Server 2008 R2 is in the Production Zone. As such the Machine Administrator does installs etc and the running is done by a separate person (not me). I can only look over someone's shoulder.

1. We are trying to run locally on the Server.

2. Even if we try RUN xxxx which is nonexistent we get same error - so 99% certain never reaching our code.

3. I have tried to do as you suggest below without success but:

a. The install has been done to a E:..MicroFocus\LicenceServer\ folder rather than "COBOL Server 2102" as I was expecting.

b. The "LicenceServer" folder simply contains a Bin64 folder. Nothing else. No CreateEnv.bat and nothing else.

We have executed some COBOL programs successfully as hook programs to a third party application - set to use ..\MicroFocus\LicenceServer\bin64\cblrtsm.dll for run time.

The administrator has confirmed that this was a straightforward install but to an E: drive rather than C: default. He can't explain why we do not end up with "COBOL Server 2012". I should also mention that the Server is locked down to a high extent in terms of file permissions etc.

My presumption is that for some reason the install has not worked correctly.

Regards, James

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

This is not a complete COBOL Server installation. I would believe that whoever installed this simply packaged the bin64 folder along with your application. If COBOL Server is actually installed it should appear under the list of installed programs in Windows -->Control Panel-->Programs and Features

When you execute the RUN.EXE command by itself, what is the banner that is displayed? It appears to me that perhaps the RUN.EXE is from an earlier product release such as Net Express as Visual COBOL no longer uses .gnt files as system files.

Are all the applications that you are running compiled as 64-bit?

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hello Chris,  FYI after some delay it was confirmed that the original install package was either corrupt or invalid. It appeared to run to end but having downloaded a verified install package from MF we ended up with the expected folders and problem was resolved.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.