Highlighted
New Member.

Error 9/057

Using Cobol 2.2 on Suse Linux 11 sometimes receive error 9/057 and i dont know the meaning of this error.

I search the entire file status description and nothing, this forum and nothing.

The source program includes $set(RM) in the first line because the original program where develop with RMCobol.

My questions is, what is error 9/057 and what situation produce this message?

Thank you in advance,

Enrique Vera.

0 Likes
1 Reply
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello Enrique:

Here is a link into the documentation:

documentation.microfocus.com/.../BKCGCGRMSCS003.html

It says (in part):

... If your program is set to return RM/COBOL file status codes ... the extended file status reported may initially seem incorrect ... the second byte of the reported error code needs to be converted from binary to ASCII. For example, if an error of 9/051 is reported, convert 051 to its ASCII character equivalent, which is 3 (0x33 in hexadecimal); therefore, the true RM/COBOL file status is actually 93.

To figure out 9/057, consult the ASCII chart here:

http://www.ascii-code.com/

Binary 57 (hex 39) is equivalent to the ASCII character "9".  So the actual status is 9/9, which in RM means "Record is locked".  This file status is equivalent to a Micro Focus file status 9/068.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.