Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Error Code at the end of Install

At the end of installing Visual COBOL, I got the error code: 0x8013153b

To top it off, COBOL does not appear in Visual Studio for me. I was given a code for the authorization tool that comes with Visual COBOL and tried using that but it didn't seem to fix anything.

Tags (2)
0 Likes
5 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

RE: Error Code at the end of Install

Installation failed - that's what an error code means, after all.

Unfortunately MSI (the Microsoft installer) is not good at explaining errors. This particular error often indicates that the installation of the Visual Studio VSIX packages failed (the VSIX installer's error reporting is also terrible).

Try updating Visual Studio, by starting Visual Studio as an administrator and going to Tools > Extensions and Updates. Install any available VS updates, then close all VS windows.

Then try repairing or reinstalling Visual COBOL. (It's also possible to just install the VSIXs manually, but letting the installer do it is simpler.)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

did all that, COBOL is still not showing up in available project types in Visual Studio
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

What version and edition of Visual Studio are you running? What version of Visual COBOL do you have?

You can try installing one of the VSIXs by hand to see if that gives you a more useful error:

1. Exit all instances of Visual Studio
  2. Open a command prompt window as Administrator
  3. cd to the Visual COBOL installation directory (this will have been displayed by the installer, and is usually under %ProgramFiles(x86)%.
  4. Find the vsix files with "dir *.vsix /s". The one to try will probably be named something like VSCore.vsix.
  5. Run that file as if it were a program. If it doesn't execute, try "cmd /c path\filename.vsix".

There's also an error file produced by the Visual COBOL installer. When an error message is displayed during installation, it should tell you the location of that file. Make a note of it so you can find the detailed error information.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I did find the VSix and ran it, and while it gave me more than just an error at the end, (and it also told me that the only thing to fail to install WAS Cobol) it gave me an install report that did INDEED contain a somewhat lengthy error dialogue. as for versions of Visual Studio and Visual COBOL, all the latest iterations of those programs.

There was an install error saying something about Pre-check verification failed with warning(s).
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

OK. I can't do anything with this information, since I don't know what the actual error messages are.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.