Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Error Starting Program

Jump to solution

I have a new solution that I am deploying on a server.  I have installed the license and cobol server 2012.  My main program is an exe that I am starting from a workstation which has access to the server thru a share.  When I start the program I get the error message 'fplogin.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close'.  I have run this on my laptop which I am developing the code on and it runs ok.  Any ideas?

0 Likes
3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

How is the COBOL Server product setup on the shared server?

Is the entire COBOL Server product installed including the license manager software?

You had posted a question previously about deploying only certain run-time files with your application so this makes me believe that there may be some aspects that are missing.

Please see the docs regarding setting up your application to run from a ahared server found here:

Is this how you have this setup?

What operating system is running on the workstation?

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Open up the property page for the managed code project and look on the Application tab.

There is a field there for target Framework.

.Net Framework versions appear as installed software under Windows Control Panel-->Programs and Features under Microsoft .NET Framework n.n where n.n is the version number.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Actually installing COBOL Server locally on the workstations is the recommended approach to take so no there should not be any problems.

You will have to install a license on each workstation unless you set up the server with a license and point the local license manager to use the server.

0 Likes
10 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

How is the COBOL Server product setup on the shared server?

Is the entire COBOL Server product installed including the license manager software?

You had posted a question previously about deploying only certain run-time files with your application so this makes me believe that there may be some aspects that are missing.

Please see the docs regarding setting up your application to run from a ahared server found here:

Is this how you have this setup?

What operating system is running on the workstation?

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

The entire Cobol Server is setup on the server including the license manager software.  I have verified on the server that the license is installed.  I have both a naïve code solution and a managed code solution that is using winforms,  It is the managed code solution that is the issue at this point.  I have tried on both an XP and windows 7 machines with the same error message.  Do I have to do the steps in the document you linked in?  Is the license not being found?

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

If you are not installing the COBOL Server or licenses directly on the workstation then, yes you have to set this up as documented in order for the required files to be made available to the application.

For managed code there is an addiitonal section in the docs here:

The error message that you are receiving is not a license error or it would report a message lke "No Licenses Available" or something to that effect.

I see a couple of potential problems here.

Native code programs that are compiled with Visual COBOL for VS2012 will not run under Windows XP.
If you wish to target Windows XP as a deployment platform then you must use the Visual COBOL for VS2010 product.

For the managed code program what .NET Framework version are you targeting?
You must make sure that the targeted .NET Framework is installed locally on the workstations running the application..

Thanks

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I have already saw the issue with the naïve code and it will not be running on a XP machine.  As for the managed code, pardon my ignorance, but the I no clue on what version of .NET framework I am targeting, how would I tell?  Also, how would I tell if the workstation has the .NET framework installed?

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Open up the property page for the managed code project and look on the Application tab.

There is a field there for target Framework.

.Net Framework versions appear as installed software under Windows Control Panel-->Programs and Features under Microsoft .NET Framework n.n where n.n is the version number.

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

My application is targeting .net framework 4, the windows 7 machine has .net framework 4 installed.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

If you try running this application on the server itself does it run correctly?

Please make sure that you set up the server according to the links that I gave to you previously.

If it still fails then I would recommend that you open up a suuport incident with Customer Care so that we can research this issue in more detail.

Thanks

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I was able to run the application on the server.  I installed cobol sever 2012 on the workstation and the application runs fine.  In discussing with the client's network people, they do not want the workstations to access the programfiles folder on the server as documented.  Will the install of cobol server 2012 on the workstations cause any issues.  Thanks for your time.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Actually installing COBOL Server locally on the workstations is the recommended approach to take so no there should not be any problems.

You will have to install a license on each workstation unless you set up the server with a license and point the local license manager to use the server.

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

The license is working fine.  Thanks for all the help.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.