Cadet 3rd Class
Cadet 3rd Class

Error after Visual Studio Community 2019 updated to version 16.3

Jump to solution

Has anyone experienced this error and know how to correct the problem?  It was working fine yesterday before the update occured.  I uninstalled/reinstalled Visual COBOL Personal Edition to no avail.

The "MicroFocus.Cobol.BuildTasks.Cobol" task could not be loaded from the assembly C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\MSBuild\Micro Focus\Visual COBOL\v1.0\MicroFocus.COBOL.BuildTasks.dll. Method 'get_SourceFileExtension' in type 'MicroFocus.COBOL.BuildTasks.CreateCobolManifestResourceName' from assembly 'MicroFocus.COBOL.BuildTasks, Version=16.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=0412c5e0b2aaa8f0' does not have an implementation. Confirm that the <UsingTask> declaration is correct, that the assembly and all its dependencies are available, and that the task contains a public class that implements Microsoft.Build.Framework.ITask.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

This is a known problem that Visual Studio 2019 version 16.3 breaks the current Visual COBOL 5.0 product. We have created a fix for this in the Visual COBOL Patch Update 2 which will be GA in a couple days.

In the meantime I have uploaded the PU2 installer to our ftp site here:

Please download this and install it over the 5.0 GA version and it will fix the problem.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

14 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

This is a known problem that Visual Studio 2019 version 16.3 breaks the current Visual COBOL 5.0 product. We have created a fix for this in the Visual COBOL Patch Update 2 which will be GA in a couple days.

In the meantime I have uploaded the PU2 installer to our ftp site here:

Please download this and install it over the 5.0 GA version and it will fix the problem.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

Cadet 3rd Class
Cadet 3rd Class

Thank you Chris!

0 Likes
Cadet 3rd Class
Cadet 3rd Class

@Chris Glazier Can you provide any direction on how to install updates in Visual Cobol for Visual Studio Community Edition 2019. I didn't find any documentation or button for updating or for even checking updates.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

If you are referring to the Visual COBOL Personal Edition product VCPE then the normal product updates are not normally made available to you. It is a free product that is used as a learning tool and unless there is a bug which is a showstopper, like the one referenced in this thread, then we do not make updates available. We try to refresh the VCPE GA product one a year when a new major version is released.

For the Patch Update 2 which fixes the problem referenced in this thread we have added the download to PU2 to the main download link in the email that is sent to you when you sign up for the product.

If you have a 30 day eval of the product or a full license on maintenance then you can download any patch update from the Supportline web site after logging in.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Cadet 1st Class
Cadet 1st Class

Hello, I see that you were presented with the problem of error MSB4062 where they ask to confirm that the <UsingTask> statement, what happens is that I am also being introduced and I have not been able to solve them. You could solve it? In case you have moved it, can you tell me how you did it? Thank you

0 Likes
Cadet 1st Class
Cadet 1st Class
Hello, I see that you were presented with the problem of error MSB4062 where they ask to confirm that the <UsingTask> statement, what happens is that I am also being introduced and I have not been able to solve them. You could solve it? In case you have moved it, can you tell me how you did it? Thank you
0 Likes
Cadet 3rd Class
Cadet 3rd Class

Hello

I have searched for this patch and cannot find it.  I just download  MicroFocus Cobol a few days ago. I am trying to learn Cobol. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You 

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

VC 5.0 Patch Update 2 is available for download from the same link you were provided for the base product installer for Visual; COBOL PE.

pu2.JPG

0 Likes
Cadet 2nd Class Cadet 2nd Class
Cadet 2nd Class

Hi,

Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit.
Visual Studio Community 2019 v. 16.5.5

I've installed (or I thought I had installed!!!) Visual COBOL, and also installed the patch. I've also "installed missing features".

When I try to open one of the MicroFocus COBOL solutions that go with the study guide, the project explorer shows:

Incompatible
        The application is not installed

Help!
Thanks,
JoJo

0 Likes
Cadet 2nd Class Cadet 2nd Class
Cadet 2nd Class

The link:  Page not found.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Can you open up any of the projects in the Samples Browser? Navigate to the Windows Start Menu-->Micro Focus Visual COBOL and select Samples. Select "Classic" in the left hand window and then "ADIS Demo" on the right side and open the sample in Visual Studio. 

Does this work?

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.