Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Error building "Getting Started

Jump to solution

I am trying out Visual Cobol Personal Edition for Visual Studio.

Walking through the Getting Started page

http://community.microfocus.com/microfocus/cobol/visual_cobol/w/wiki/811.getting-started-with-visual-cobol-for-visual-studio.aspx

But when I try to build it, I get a message saying it failed though the error list is empty.

------ Build started: Project: HelloFromCobol, Configuration: Debug Any CPU ------

* Compiling "\\mac\home\documents\visual studio 2012\Projects\HelloFromCobol\HelloFromCobol\Form1.cbl"

* Compiling "\\mac\home\documents\visual studio 2012\Projects\HelloFromCobol\HelloFromCobol\Form1.Designer.cbl"

* Compiling "\\mac\home\documents\visual studio 2012\Projects\HelloFromCobol\HelloFromCobol\Main.cbl"

* Generating HelloFromCobol.Form1

Done building project "HelloFromCobol.cblproj" -- FAILED.

Build FAILED.

========== Build: 0 succeeded or up-to-date, 1 failed, 0 skipped ==========

I am running on Windows 10.

Any suggestions?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

RE: Error building "Getting Started

Jump to solution

The Visual COBOL PE is not currently supported under Windows 10 but I am not sure that is your problem here.

It looks like your project may be located on a network share "\\mac".

Can you try the tutorial again only create the project on your local C drive and see if that works for you?

You can get a more verbose error message output by navigating to Tools-->Options-->Projects and Solutions and changing the Build verbosity to detailed or diagnostic.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

The Visual COBOL PE is not currently supported under Windows 10 but I am not sure that is your problem here.

It looks like your project may be located on a network share "\\mac".

Can you try the tutorial again only create the project on your local C drive and see if that works for you?

You can get a more verbose error message output by navigating to Tools-->Options-->Projects and Solutions and changing the Build verbosity to detailed or diagnostic.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Jump to solution

Creating the project on my C: drive worked like a charm.  Thank you Chris!

I run Windows 10 in a Parallels VM and so I think that is why it defaulted to saving the project on my actual Mac HD rather than the virtual HD.

Hopefully Windows 10 support will be added soon, especially considering that Micro Focus added it to the paid version.

I guess this is a good way to learn Object Oriented Cobol. 🙂

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

We will be refreshing the Visual COBOL PE version with the 2.3 release when it becomes GA at which point it will be supported under Windows 10.

A prerelease version of Visual COBOL for Visual Studio 2015 V2.3 is available now as a Technical Preview.

If anyone is interested in test driving this it can be downloaded here

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.