Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

External Defined Dataname

I have a 01 data field defined as external within a program because the data is used by many programs and I did not want to pass it from program to program (this is a .net project).  When I am in debug mode, I can not do a quickwatch on any field in the data record.  I says 'Unable to evaluate expression'.  Can you not view external defined data area?

0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

RE: External Defined Dataname

Can you attach a code snippet showing the definition of your field, and could you specify which version of the product you are using ? I just tried creating a simple test program with an item defined As EXTERNAL and was able to do a Quickwatch without any problem. I tried defining an elementary item and then as a group item and both were okay.

Gael

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

RE: External Defined Dataname

There is a known limitation when trying to do a hover or watch or quick watch on a variable that is defined as part of a data file record where that file is itself defined as being external.

This limitation exists only for managed code and should not be a problem in native.

There is a current enhancement request open for this functionaility.

To get around this you could move the record from the files record area to a different area in working-storage that is defined as external and this should work ok.

Example:

program-id. Program1 as "externaldebug.Program1".

select test-file assign to "testfile.dat"

organization is indexed

access is dynamic

record key is key1

file status is file-status.

data division.

fd test-file  external.

01 test-record.

05 key1   pic x(3).

05 rest   pic x(5).

working-storage section.

01 file-status  pic x(2) external.

01 test-record2 external.

05 key2   pic x(3).

05 rest2   pic x(5).

procedure division.

open output test-file

display file-status

move all "1" to test-record

move test-record to test-record2

*> if you hover over test-record or one of its fields it will fail but it will work if you hover over test-record2 or one of its fields.

Is this perhaps what you have run into?

Thanks.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.