Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Feature Request: Add File Descriptor information to file handle data tooltip

While debugging, after having stepped over a READ operation, I often find myself in an urge to see what has actually been read from the file.

One could go seek for a matching file descriptor entry in code, but many times this is cumbersome.

So, I'd like to propose to not only display a file status for a file handle, but also all corresponding file descriptors assigned to that file handle. I suggest the file descriptor information be displayed as child item(s) of the file status:

Current Situation

Current Debugger State.png

Desired Situation

Desired Debugger State 2.png

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

FYI: Screenshot of sample project used to create the above mock:

Debugger Window.png

0 Likes
1 Reply
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Re: Feature Request: Add File Descriptor information to file handle data tooltip

For relative files having a key data item assigned using the RELATIVE KEY IS data-name-5 clause (see SELECT statement), I propose to have that key data item listed beneath the file handle, too:

Desired Debugger State 3.png

The corresponding SELECT clause is:

SELECT fileHandleR ASSIGN ".\Rel-Test.txt" LOCK MODE IS MANUAL ORGANIZATION IS RELATIVE ACCESS MODE IS SEQUENTIAL RELATIVE KEY IS lineIdx.

Currently, all the different parts of a file access situation are spread somewhere across the code base.

Having index key (if applicable) and FD descriptors in one place, one would have everything important to debug a file access situation easily available at the ready.

Such improvement would be of great value, I believe.

------------------------

Attached please find the sample project I used to create the above mock image.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.