Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Feature Request: Add empty text file to Add New Item for COBOL Items

I don't seem to be able to add a plain empty text file to the project:

COBOL Items.png

All the files in this list come with some template content and/or pre-set compiler options.

Please add a plain, empty text file item to the list of items to add to a COBOL project.

0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Feature Request: Add empty text file to Add New Item for COBOL Items

I agree that this would be nice to have and it is something that a C# project provides.

As a workaround for now, if you right-click on the Solution-->Add New Item, Text File will be in the list. This will add it to the solution and from there you can drag it to your project.

Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Re: Feature Request: Add empty text file to Add New Item for COBOL Items

Thanks, Chris, for your valuable answer again.

Yes, good thought. I agree, it can be done ...

... But, well, it leaves a cheesy odour behind, though, because the file is kept hidden in the solution directory, even though you move it to a project directory. So chances are, that orphans are inadvertently added to the repository (e.g. a Git repository), resulting in pesky approval discussions etc. (You probably know the string of consequences.)
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.