Absent Member.
Absent Member.

From MFC 5 to Visual Cobol

Hi,

Anyone know if a document exist explaining the requirement sin order to migrate a running MFC 5 application into using Visual Cobol instead?   I would be interesting in something that describe what to expect in the effort of replacing the Cobol compiler and runtime.  The obvious consist in installing the new visual Cobol and its license and recompile the source, but should we expect to have to modify any data file (KSAM for example) or should some compilation/runtime flags be used to emulate the old version behaviour.

Thanks in advance

-Pierre 

PS: Principally on Unix.

0 Likes
4 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

What exact product name are you referring to when you say MFC 5?

Net Express 5.0?, Server Express 5.0? Workbench, etc.?

Thanks.

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Chris,

Sorry, I should have mentioned that in my original post. I refer to Server Express 5.X on Unix.

Thanks,

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

There is an upgrade guide available here although it is for an earlier version of Visual COBOL than the current version.

To upgrade from Server Express to Visual COBOL you would install the Visual COBOL Dev Hub product on your Unix/Linux system and install the Visual COBOL for Eclipse Development environment on either Windows or Linux.

In Visual COBOL the development is done through the Eclipse IDE which remotely connects to the Dev Hub product installed on the Unix system.

The Dev Hub product also allows you to compile and link directly on your Unix/Linux system using the same tools like cob that were present in Server Express.

You should not have to change your sources or data files if you will be compiling to native code, just recompile using Visual COBOL.

Perhaps others who have already gone through this process can elaborate on their experiences?

Thanks

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Chris,

This is exactly the kind of document I was looking for.  I will leave the discussion unanswered as I would really like to hear from others experiences on the subject.

Thanks a lot.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.