Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

General VC question

Jump to solution

What other language besides COBOL is running in Visual COBOL?

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner
Hi John,

Invoke (like Cobol call to call classes) and declare are part of the new syntax that the object-oriented world brought into Visual Cobol. You still can write plain traditional Cobol syntax if you want to build or compile a character based, console Cobol app, but if you want to enter the object-oriented world, you will be happy to learn the new options that Visual Cobol offers for that.

Regards,

Juan Manuel Urraburu
Director of Technology @ ProRM & Axtrio
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
LinkedIn

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
Verbs like invoke, declare, attach, etc ARE part of the COBOL language as defined my Micro Focus. They are Object-Oriented extensions to standard COBOL. Object-Orientation has been part of COBOL since the early 1990s and were first published in the ISO-2002 standard. Micro Focus has streamlined the OO language features and have made them more usable with Frameworks such as .NET and Java JVM.

These are documented under Managed code in the Visual COBOL documentation reference guide.

0 Likes
6 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
I am not sure I understand the question. Visual COBOL is the product which adds COBOL language support to either the Visual Studio or Eclipse IDEs. Those products can support other languages. In full versions of Visual Studio you can have C/C++, C#, VB.NET, etc. In Eclipse you can have Java, C, etc, If you only have a shell version of Visual Studio installed then you are limited to COBOL only within the IDE.

If you are compiling to managed code in .NET then your generated COBOL assemblies can call or be called by other .NET assemblies written in languages such as C#. For managed code JVM the byte code generated for COBOL can call or be called by byte code generated by Java.

If you are working in native code you can call programs written in C, Java or other languages using the Visual COBOL language support.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
I guess what I'm trying to say is : Is VC a blend of cobol and some other language and if so what is that language?
Thanks for the explanation above
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner
Hi Opasman,

Did you try VC?

If you use to work with character based Cobol programs, creating a new Cobol, Native, Console Application in Visual Cobol for Visual Studio, will let you work the same way you do today, in plain traditional Cobol. In fact you can even use your prefered text editor and build your programs from outside the IDE and compile and run it from the command line.

Then, if you want to use the object-oriented features, and/or GUI or WEB front-end, you have access to a whole new bunch of features and syntax to use in Cobol. For that you just create a new Cobol proyect, but Managed or Web.

And do not worry for some strange syntax you can see at the beginning. First look can be a little shocking, but most of that "code" is auto generated for you.

If you didn´t yet, I propose you to see some of the Youtube videos on Visual Cobol like youtu.be/ka1ZPtJ0sKM

Regards,

Juan Manuel Urraburu
LinkedIn

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Juan, I have Micro Focus book - "visual cobol A developer's guide" and I'm going through it. But some of the examples refer to non - cobol verbs like declare and invoke and they use classes and methods. Are these from say visual basic or java or some other object oriented language? This is what I'd like to know so I can look at tutorials for the language. I hope you understand what I'm looking for. I have VC PE and will be going through the MF course also.
Thanks. John
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner
Hi John,

Invoke (like Cobol call to call classes) and declare are part of the new syntax that the object-oriented world brought into Visual Cobol. You still can write plain traditional Cobol syntax if you want to build or compile a character based, console Cobol app, but if you want to enter the object-oriented world, you will be happy to learn the new options that Visual Cobol offers for that.

Regards,

Juan Manuel Urraburu
LinkedIn

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
Verbs like invoke, declare, attach, etc ARE part of the COBOL language as defined my Micro Focus. They are Object-Oriented extensions to standard COBOL. Object-Orientation has been part of COBOL since the early 1990s and were first published in the ISO-2002 standard. Micro Focus has streamlined the OO language features and have made them more usable with Frameworks such as .NET and Java JVM.

These are documented under Managed code in the Visual COBOL documentation reference guide.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.