Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

How to deploy visual cobol for win7 clients?

We've recently switched to Visual Cobol from Net Express (Ms Windows on PCs). We use old MF Dialogue GUI and built in MF Cobol file formats. I'd like to create a simple client installation procedure, ideally automated though could be semi manual if simpler. Target machines could be standalone or acting as a server for a small group of client/users. What's the best way to do this? Some questions... is it better to install the run time licenses separately or can it be packaged together. Should I create a single exe or supply separate GNT files?

Thank you,

Linden

Linden Rowland - IT Consultant
Owner/Developer, www.SchoolReportWriter.com
IT Consultant to Tindle Newspaper Group

0 Likes
9 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

RE: How to deploy visual cobol for win7 clients?

Hi Linden,

I would recommend that you read through the deployment documentation for the COBOL Server product which can be found here:
Since you are using Dialog System then you would also have to install the Compatibility Addpack which contains the required Dialog System components.

COBOL Server is distributed as a single .exe file but it actually contains a number of individual .msi files for required components such as 32-bit and 64-bit run-time files, license manager and prerequisites.

You can include this .exe as part of your own installer program which can be a simple .bat file or an install program written in software packages like Installshield or WiX, etc, and it can be installed silently.

This will install all required run-time files and license manager software on the client machine with no user interaction.
Please see the documentation here for details

After you install Cobol Server you can then install the license silently as well. The command for doing this is:

start /wait "" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\SafeNet Sentinel\Sentinel RMS License Manager\WinNT\cesadmintool" -term install -f <licensefile>

where <licensefile> is the actual name of the license file containing the license string.

Along with the COBOL Server product download you should have access to a separate download called the Deployment Toolkit.
This is a zip file which contains the individual .msi files as well as a COBOL Server merge module which can be integrated with most setup utilities like Installsheid.

How you package this is completely up to you.

I would recommend a full COBOL Server install but other customers like to package the required run-time files like cblrtsm.dll as part of their application. If you chose to do this then you would still be required to install the license manager which is available in a separate .msi file within the Deployment Toolkit.

You can install COBOL Server, Compatibility Addpack and License Manager as stated above either locally or on a server.
If you wish to run the application from the server on a workstation that does not contain any MF components then there is some additional setup required in order to run the license daemon and point it to the correct machine running the license manager.

Setup information for installing to a network server can be found here:

As far as packaging your application is concerned it is really a matter of personal preference.

Tradeoffs between using a single .exe or multiple .gnts are that using multiple .gnts allow a more modular approach to development where a change to one module doesn't necessarily affect other modules but if you are calling many different programs then load time would be better especially across a network if a single .exe were used.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks very much Chris for your quick reply, I'll work way through your info. If I need more advice should I reply again here or contact you direct? Thanks again, Linden

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

You are welcome.

Please post any additional questions to the Community site so they are visible to others as well.

If you run into actual product problems then you should open up an incident with Customer Care.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Chris,

Ok I've looked at the documents and this is my interpretation. Can you answer **Q1/2/3/4** below and comment on anything else that is wrong/needs to be done.  

OUR SITUATION:

1. Target machines: Windows 7 mostly, also XP, windows server 2003 and other windows variants.

2. Development: MS Visual Studio 2012, Visual COBOL 2.2, Dialog System 1.0 on Windows 8.

3. Deployment: Single .exe/multiple .gnt files, located either on the client or separate network location.

TO INSTALL:

Happy to install COBOL Server in full and separately on every machine. Ditto mf licensing i.e. no central run-time server or licensing database. This seems the simplest option? - **Q1**

On each client...

1.  run cs2012_release.exe (where do I obtain the exe? **Q2**)

2. install the license (how do i create/obtain user license files/numbers? - I believe my client has purchased a number of run-time licenses **Q3**)

3. install the relevant dialog system addpack (does this have to be done separately each time for each client or is there an easier way to combine with (1) above? **Q4**)

4. Create a shortcut to our main .exe file for the user.

Thank you,

Linden

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

If you must deploy your application under Windows XP then you cannot use the Visual COBOL for Visual Studio 2012 product as it does not support Windows XP. You should instead use the Visual COBOL for Visual Studio 2010 product which has full support for Windows XP as well as the other operating systems.

Q1: Yes, installing the full COBOL Server product locally on each workstation is certainly the simplest option for installation as all prerequisites will be installed automatically as will be made available without additional setup requirements.

Q2: The COBOL Server product either 2010, 2012 or 2013 must correspond to the version of Visual COBOL that you are using. As stated above, if you need to run under XP then you will need the cs2010_221.exe installer to match the vc2010_221.exe installer for Visual COBOL.

You should have received an e-mail with the download link to the COBOL Server installers after purchasing the product. These product installers can also be downloaded from the Micro Focus Product Updates page on the supportline tab at www.microfocus.com, if you have purchased the product and also have a current maintenance contract for it. If you need to purchase the COBOL Server product then you should contact your Sales Account Manager.

Q3: You should have received an e-mail containing either an authorization code or a link for the download of a license file when purchasing the COBOL Server product. Please see the video here: If you no longer have this information then you can contact Customer Care and we will be happy to send these to you again.

Q4: The easiest method is just to install the Compatibility Addpack after the install of the COBOL Server product as currently these are delivered in two distinct installers. We are looking at combining the two in a future release. If you automate this process in an install procedure or .bat file then it should be fairly straightforward as both can be installed silently as well.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thank you Chris for your detailed reply.

Re. the platforms, can you let me know which windows platforms visual cobol 2.2 supports.

I understood during the sales process that everything from windows XP up was ok. I assume we would have to have separate machines and licenses to run older visual cobol versions, which in any case would be undesirable i think from a compatibility point of view? 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

It is not really the version of Visual COBOL that dictates the supported OS as much as it is the version of Visual Studio that is being used.

Starting with Visual Studio 2012 Microsoft provided a new version of the C++ run-time files which uses OS API's that are not available in Windows XP.

Therefore the Visual COBOL for Visual Studio 2010 product is supported under Windows XP and higher.

Because of this change by Microsoft, Visual COBOL for Visual Studio 2012 and Visual COBOL for Visual Studio 2013 do not support Windows XP and require Windows 7 or higher.

If you wish to maintain only one product version that will run on all systems including Windows XP then you must use the Visual COBOL for Visual Studio 2010 product.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

ok thanks for the clarification Chris. Is there a page somewhere with a list of op systems supported by Visual COBOL 2012 that I can share with my client. Thanks.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Normally, you would be able to get this information on the Product Availability site at: supportline.microfocus.com/prodavail.aspx but there appears to be a problem at the moment which IT is looking into.

The current list for Visual COBOL for Visual Studio 2010 is:

PLATFORMS

• Windows Vista

• Windows XP

• Windows 7

• Windows 8

• Windows Server 2003

• Windows Server 2008

• Windows Server 2012

and for Visual COBOL for Visual Studio 2012 or 2013

PLATFORMS

• Windows 7

• Windows 8

• Windows Server 2008

• Windows Server 2012

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.