Highlighted
Contributor.
Contributor.

How to manage COBOL code expansion (+) and contraction(-) signs??

Jump to solution

Completely by accident, I see that it's <theoretically> possible to expand and collapse portions of COBOL source code.  Just thrashing around, I somehow managed to create little + and - signs next to the line number, just before column 1.  (See circled area in attached screen shot).  I found that clicking the + and - signs causes code sections to appear and disappear.  My problem is that I can't find documentation about how to create, delete, and generally manage the expand / collapse function.  I would be most grateful to be pointed in the right direction.

My Micro Focus product specs are as follows.

Microsoft Visual Studio 2010
Version 10.0.40219.1 SP1Rel
Microsoft .NET Framework
Version 4.6.01586 SP1Rel

Installed Version: IDE Standard

Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2010 01011-532-2002361-70367
Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2010

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor

RE: How to manage COBOL code expansion (+) and contraction(-) signs??

Jump to solution

The + and - buttons are part of the COBOL outlining support we have added to Visual Studio. The general VS documentation can be found here. msdn.microsoft.com/.../td6a5x4s(v=vs.140).aspx

These blocks are automatically generated by the IDE when certain code block constructs are present (such as COBOL Sections).

If you wish to define your own outlining blocks, support has been added from Visual COBOL/Enterprise Developer 2.3 upwards to support the "$REGION" syntax in the IDE. This will create a outlining block between the "$REGION" and $END-REGION".

procedure division.
           display "Outside user defined block"
      $region Some comment describing section
           display "Inside user defined block"
      $end-region
goback.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
Highlighted

RE: How to manage COBOL code expansion (+) and contraction(-) signs??

Jump to solution

The + and - buttons are part of the COBOL outlining support we have added to Visual Studio. The general VS documentation can be found here. msdn.microsoft.com/.../td6a5x4s(v=vs.140).aspx

These blocks are automatically generated by the IDE when certain code block constructs are present (such as COBOL Sections).

If you wish to define your own outlining blocks, support has been added from Visual COBOL/Enterprise Developer 2.3 upwards to support the "$REGION" syntax in the IDE. This will create a outlining block between the "$REGION" and $END-REGION".

procedure division.
      $region Some comment describing section
      $end-region
goback.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.