Highlighted
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

How to pass data (string or pic x(100) ) from Net Express .exe to Visual Cobol .dll

Jump to solution

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 05 August 2011]

SI 2527714

Client has a query:
How to pass data (string or pic x(100) ) from Net Express .exe to Visual Cobol .dll and pass it back again.

I cannot find a demo or sample that is readily available that shows how to do this. Does anyone know if there is a demo available that I can use to provide the client, instead of creating something from scratch(trying to)? I do not think it is too relevant that it has to be a Visual Cobol .dll , unless you know if this would cause problems.. please let me know if this is a bad practice.

Many thanks,
Kim
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

RE: How to pass data (string or pic x(100) ) from Net Express .exe to Visual Cobol .dll

Jump to solution
Kim,

There is a sample of doing exactly this in the Library section of this Community forum.
Please look at:

Calling Visual COBOL .NET classes from Net Express native application

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

RE: How to pass data (string or pic x(100) ) from Net Express .exe to Visual Cobol .dll

Jump to solution
The two products use different COBOL runtimes, different COBOL runtime types, different C runtime and different licensing systems.

So having a Net Express .exe call a Visual COBOL .dll is opening yourself up to a world of pain and is not a recommended or tested scenario.

My recommendation is to make the Visual COBOL part an out of process COM component, which ensures both are running in different processes.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution
Kim,

There is a sample of doing exactly this in the Library section of this Community forum.
Please look at:

Calling Visual COBOL .NET classes from Net Express native application

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

Jump to solution
Many thanks for the excellent replies, most appreciated!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution

This link "Calling Visual COBOL .NET classes from Net Express native application" is broken.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.