Absent Member.
Absent Member.

How to use implicit connection in a class?

Jump to solution

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 01 September 2011]

Hi,

I'm facing this problem : when using implicit connection to an Oracle database, the execution aborts with a "Connection not found" error. If I use an explicit connect in a method of the used object, all goes fine.

This doesn't occur with programs & subprograms where I can use implicit connection without any problem.

So, is an implicit connection compatible with OO Cobol?

Regards,
TahitiClic
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Hi,

I'm using Server Express 5

ProCobol doesn't support OO Cobol, so I'm using OpenSQL precomp, with OracleOCI targetting (no ODBC).

Oracle is in 10g version.

I want to use implicit connexion since explicit connexion is a lot slower (I can't see why but it's about 40% slower).

[EDIT] : it appears that in this particular case, Explicit connection in main program or implicit connection are not sufficient. The INIT precompiler directive in the main program allows to share connection, so problem solved but I can't see why other types of connection don't share the CONNECT.

Thanks for your help.

TahitiClic

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
What product and version are you using, Net Express, Server Express or Visual COBOL?
What Oracle product are you using?

Are you using Pro*COBOL and cobsql in a native program or are you using OpenESQL with ODBC or ADO.NET?

Any additional information you can provide would be helpful.

Thanks.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Hi,

I'm using Server Express 5

ProCobol doesn't support OO Cobol, so I'm using OpenSQL precomp, with OracleOCI targetting (no ODBC).

Oracle is in 10g version.

I want to use implicit connexion since explicit connexion is a lot slower (I can't see why but it's about 40% slower).

[EDIT] : it appears that in this particular case, Explicit connection in main program or implicit connection are not sufficient. The INIT precompiler directive in the main program allows to share connection, so problem solved but I can't see why other types of connection don't share the CONNECT.

Thanks for your help.

TahitiClic

View solution in original post

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.