I tried using that app configuration file that chris glazer sent (i think that's his name) for another program and it gave me a wrong mode error what modes it suppose to be in
the only thing I can think that is different is this line in my code
organization is line sequential.
im not sure that's any mode or not
I think I might know what the problem is I don't have enough test data in the phone file I just used a couple names and phone numbers I made up I'm suppose to have a lot more data not sure if that is the problem but maybe
Yes, that would be the problem and it exactly represents the condition reported by the error message.
You have to at least have a full record present as COBOL reads files a record at a time and not a field at a time.
sorry about the posts being so hard to follow I would reply before you answered back
anyway you said it might be the actual file format what do you mean by that
could it be this my phone.txt doesn't have an extension field in it but the report.cbl has or requests that record or field
I eliminated the extension field because I don't have a field for extension in the phone dat anyway it worked when I did that so thanks Chris I just wanted you to know you fixed it